Aluminium Wiring And Wago 222

I have a couple of customers with aluminium house wiring. I have been using the CO/ALR Marretes but the twisted-on nuts tend to weaken the aluminium from the flexing and cause it to break.
I don't run into aluminium wiring often enough to justify investing in AlumiConn connectors.
Thinking of trying out Wago 222s - anyone using them?
Also I have Oxgard. Is it a suitable substitute for the Wago AluPlus paste?

I have a couple of customers with aluminium house wiring. I have been using the CO/ALR Marretes but the twisted-on nuts tend to weaken the aluminium from the flexing and cause it to break.
I don't run into aluminium wiring often enough to justify investing in AlumiConn connectors.
Thinking of trying out Wago 222s - anyone using them?
Also I have Oxgard. Is it a suitable substitute for the Wago AluPlus paste?
I won't use WAGO's in a high current application any more. Or at least I won't re-use them anymore. I know that these days they are preferred, but I just got finished having a meh experience with them when I re-used them in our camper to swap out an AC control box. I re-used the same ones that the factory installed them with and ended up with:

IMG_20231119_122214400_HDR.jpg

It is a sample size of 1, and they were copper connectors with a re-used WAGO, but I replaced them with nuts. Generally I'm a big fan of them, but this incident gave me pause.

What size wire? I didn’t think aluminum was allowed on these.

Everybody loves them or hates them it seems. I haven’t seen a failure aside aside from some 221’s being in an underground Quazite box and starting to rust. The instal was only ~2-3 years old. I would also wrap tape around them so they tabs stay closed. Had one come undone on me in a parking lot light, but power was off anyways.

Low amp loads like lighting I am sure they are fine. Commercial and industrial lights can come with 222’s now. Continuous loads like a space heater I would look for alternatives.

There is nothing in that document about the use of aluminum wire.
True.

Using the “Alu-Plus” Contact Paste​

• With the contact paste, solid aluminum conductors up to 4 mm² can be reliably contacted via WAGO's spring pressure connections.
  • With CAGE CLAMP® (e.g., 222 Series), clean the aluminum conductor with a blade and immediately connect it to the clamping point filled with the paste.
  • With PUSH WIRE® (e.g., 2273 Series), it is recommended to clean the aluminum conductor beforehand and then connect it immediately to the terminal point filled with the paste.

Back