Alternator or??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with you stevieC! very weird.. and 2 alternators in 2 years, insane! It will be really interesting to see how the new alternator tests out and fixes everything. I know the radio was much louder when I replaced mine. I know I wasn't imagining that!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: researcher
i agree with you stevieC! very weird.. and 2 alternators in 2 years, insane! It will be really interesting to see how the new alternator tests out and fixes everything. I know the radio was much louder when I replaced mine. I know I wasn't imagining that!
cheers3.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Strange indeed.
cheers3.gif

That’s nuts … can’t even think how far back an alternator or starter went out on me … 79 Dodge maybe … my sons 11 year old 300 is at 200k and a radiator plastic tank was just the cars first problem a month ago …
Up a bit late?

Ended up putting in a Bosch alternator this afternoon and I'm happy to report that it's charging properly now and after getting home from 1/2 hour drive from my dad's place (he has more tools than me) the battery is as 12.89 volts. (AGM) - The Alternator is charging at 14.1-14.7 volts.

I'm tempted to take the old Alternator apart to see what seems to be the problem but there is a $60 core on it so I don't think that is going to happen.

This experience with full charging voltage but not enough amperage is one for the books for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Good choice and really satisfying to hear that you got it resolved
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Congrats ! :)

Thanks
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ended up putting in a Bosch alternator this afternoon and I'm happy to report that it's charging properly now and after getting home from 1/2 hour drive from my dad's place (he has more tools than me) the battery is as 12.89 volts. (AGM) - The Alternator is charging at 14.1-14.7 volts.

I'm tempted to take the old Alternator apart to see what seems to be the problem but there is a $60 core on it so I don't think that is going to happen.

This experience with full charging voltage but not enough amperage is one for the books for sure.

I'll jump in as well and say CONGRATS!!
grin.gif
glad you got it fixed!

I agree about wanting to take it apart, but $60 core is a good deterrent, lol. that's what's awesome about a forum, others get to learn along the way. I know I'll make a blanket statement but no more mitsubishi alternators! Hey I do have a question, were the windings on the bosch any thicker than the mitsubishi?? Anything you could see different from the outside?

At least now this bosch should last you many, many years!
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The Bosch alternator was heavier than the Mitsubishi but the windings looked to be the same gauge by my eye. Now it could be that the Bosch has more layers of windings or something.

Drove it to work (the office) this morning and metered the battery when I got here and I'm still at 12.8 volts.
thumbsup2.gif

And yes... NO MORE ME-SO-B*****Y ALTERNATORS

Last edited:
Alot of times brushes function intermittent when t
hey are going out! This makes diagnosis tough. Good pick!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The Bosch alternator was heavier than the Mitsubishi but the windings looked to be the same gauge by my eye. Now it could be that the Bosch has more layers of windings or something.

Drove it to work (the office) this morning and metered the battery when I got here and I'm still at 12.8 volts.
thumbsup2.gif

And yes... NO MORE ME-SO-B*****Y ALTERNATORS

lol.. me-so-bitshee.. hahaha love it!
crackmeup2.gif

Awesome to hear it's working well.. so all this week it's still ok? I know over here in michigan it's been VERY cold, I'm thinking you're getting the same weather we are! just checking in to see how the new one is working..

I actually have that on a pin with the 3 diamonds logo.
lol.gif

Yup all this week and I was concerned with it being super cold last night into today and the battery was at 12.82 volts this morning. Drove to the office an hour away and drove back. When I got home it was 12.89v. SOOOOOO happy!

I also like the Odyssey 20 amp battery charger I bought. It did a great job charging the battery and then conditioning it while I was sorting out the alternator mess on Monday.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back