Alternative to Unaffordable New SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

There are more than you think. Although my 99 MGM only has 103k miles on it.

The get rid of it point for us usually comes some time after 225k for our fleet.

Originally Posted by atikovi

People driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars are not in the stock market and could care less about it.

People driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars are not in the stock market and could care less about it.

OK...sure.

If you say so.

I happen to live with a person who drives an 18 year old car with 255,000 miles on it, who is in the stock market, with a substantial portfolio, and actively follows financial news, and makes investment decisions...

Who said anything about impressing people. Let me put it another way. People with solid portfolios wont risk breaking down by driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars when they can afford more reliable ones.

Seriously?

I drive two 1993 Volvo 240s daily. Over 35,000 miles a year. All over the country.

Our portfolio is solid. Even after last week.

Originally Posted by Astro14

OK...sure.

If you say so.

I happen to live with a person who drives an 18 year old car with 255,000 miles on it, who is in the stock market, with a substantial portfolio, and actively follows financial news, and makes investment decisions...

The rich can be strange. The owner of a company I worked for years ago used to just fly coach even though he could easily afford first class and drove just a Ford Explorer. He'd even be on the same flight with his executives who were flying first class. He used to fly internationally and he'd get in trouble with security because he didn't have any luggage which they thought was suspicious, but that was because he had multiple homes so he was just flying from one home to another. I knew he was worth over 100 million.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by eljefino

I say wait for the inevitable economic slowdown and/or gas crunch-- they'll be giving these away, then.

That was what I was thinking when I read this thread yesterday.
The global economic slowdown may already be in progress with the current disruptions of supply chains throughout Asia.
OTOH, what might an economic contraction do to the OP's income?

Well the slowdown is happening, just look at the stock market. On the other hand, gas prices should be coming down as the price of crude oil is way down due to the lack of demand, now under $50 a barrel when it was pushing $70 a while back.

Like many, you appear to be confusing a decline in equities markets with a decline in the real economy.
They aren't the same thing at all.
Equities markets are notorious for predicting economic contractions that never come and this is probably more common in our age of instant global news feeds.
There is an old saying that the market predicted five of the last two recessions.
The market will reliably predict economic contraction but it will also often predict those that never come.
We're in early days yet, but my personal bet is that this virus may well ignite the next global economic contraction.
SUV prices will plunge as will fuel prices, but incomes will as well.

Well the slowdown is happening, just look at the stock market. On the other hand, gas prices should be coming down as the price of crude oil is way down due to the lack of demand, now under $50 a barrel when it was pushing $70 a while back.

Like many, you appear to be confusing a decline in equities markets with a decline in the real economy.
Equities markets are notorious for predicting economic contractions that never come and this is probably more common in our age of instant global news feeds.
There is an old saying that the market predicted five of the last two recessions.
The market will reliably predict economic contraction but it will also often predict those that never come.
We're in early days yet, but my personal bet is that this virus may well ignite the next global economic contraction.

I'm not sure a slow down in the economy will lead to lower used SUV prices. For new ones, they have to make them for a certain amount. Sales will probably decline and maybe some incentives will increase. The used market isn't the same as the new market. If gas is cheap, people will probably keep buying them used. You'd need a big rise in unemployment in order to really tank the economy. SUV sales really go down when gas prices go up. It's going in the opposite direction.

I'm not sure a slow down in the economy will lead to lower used SUV prices. For new ones, they have to make them for a certain amount. Sales will probably decline and maybe some incentives will increase. The used market isn't the same as the new market. If gas is cheap, people will probably keep buying them used. You'd need a big rise in unemployment in order to really tank the economy. SUV sales really go down when gas prices go up. It's going in the opposite direction.

A used three year old Suburban is $40,000.00ish dollars. I don't see those changing anytime soon. As a truck owner- I follow resale on those as well-the resale values are crazy.

Originally Posted by CKN
A used three year old Suburban is $40,000.00ish dollars. I don't see those changing anytime soon. As a truck owner- I follow resale on those as well-the resale values are crazy.

$75,000 new, $40K after 3 years. Why is that crazy?

OP,

My advise would be too reevaluate your wants verses your needs. It appears you are trying to figure out how to spend your last $600mo in income. I would encourage you to figure out how to spend $600 LESS per month for a couple years.

At this Rate ($1,200/mo x 24mo) you would have saved $28,800 in cash at that point you reassess your needs and are in a position to consider some wants.

You could;

1. Pay cash for a $28,000 off lease Crew cab/lower end Tahoe
2. Put $14k down on 2 nice off lease $30,000 SUVs and have a $600 payment on not 1 but 2 nice 3-4year old low mileage vehicles.

Above all else I would encourage you to make a money plan and figure out how you can meet your Needs and acquire some wants by having some patience. I've found if I sacrifice a little on one area I can put some money toward another want.

For me it's not eating at restaurants as often and taking that extra $15-20 I'd spend on lunch that day and putting it in my Investment portfolio. I realized a couple of years ago that spending just an extra $27.40 a day is $10,000 a year. Improve a few areas in your budget to get at least $1000 a month free after all expenses are paid and Retirement is funded to put toward your wants of newer vehicles.

This also will lower your stress level if we hit a recession and you are sitting on your "want" reserves as some extra cushion above your emergency fund.

Good luck

Originally Posted by wag123
Get rid of both the Expedition and Suburban, they are both nearly worn-out money pits. Keep the Sentra for an economical running around vehicle, it isn't costing you much to own.
Forget about buying anything new.
Get a used Sienna Volvo XC90 for your work vehicle. It will be big enough inside for your work hauling, comfortable/quiet enough for your driving pleasure, very reliable/durable, and reasonably economical compared to anything else with comparable utility.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by CKN

The MSRP might be $75,000-not the transaction prices. WE are not talking about depreciation but affordability. Many on here can't afford $40,000.00 on a vehicle-whether it's new or used.

OP - You need to separate requirement from "desirement".

In your original post, you talk about "like" and "feel"....well, those aren't the same as actual requirements...and suggest emotional thinking when what you need is clear, rational, analysis.

Looks like you need:
1. Something that can tow your boat
2. Safe transport for wife and kid
3. A way to get to work

You only need one boat-capable car. Just one. You're spending a ton on gas and maintenance to have two.

If you need a truck for work, to haul tools, perhaps, then OK, but I suspect you only need reliable wheels to get to work.

Combine the two SUVs into one newer one. That fits 1. and 2. above. She gets the new(ish) SUV. Your Sentra is the way to get to work.

Two cars, one SUV.

Or, you drive an older pickup (boat-tower and way to get to work) and she gets - yep, a minivan. Safe, economical, practical.

Two vehicles, one pickup, one other car. No SUV.

But you absolutely need to go from two SUVs to one. Stop driving big, gas guzzling monsters that require a ton of maintenance. You're spending more than you can afford on cars.

The clear way to reduce that is to reduce the number of cars you own and reduce the number of guzzlers that you own.

*For the record, both my current cars are gas guzzlers. The Mercedes S600 isn't an economy car, neither is the Tundra. But my fuel, maintenance, and payment budget for ALL my cars, ALL of them, is less than 1/5 of what I invest every month. I'll say that again - I invest 5 times what I spend on cars. Every month. My budget is in balance with life's priorities. Within that context, driving a guzzler is a choice that I can afford.

When I was at your point in life: kids, tight budget, I absolutely drove some uncool cars. A 1970 Fairlane wagon, with no AC, for example, in the early 90s. A complete beater. But zero payment. Zero depreciation. Near Zero insurance, taxes, and maintenance. People made fun of the Fairlane. OK. Fine. What I wasn't spending on car payments in those years, I was investing. The modest (few hundred $$ every month) investment nearly three decades ago is now a considerable portfolio. I couldn't afford a cool car then. I sure couldn't afford a guzzler or maintenance pig. I could've paid for it, but the cost would've been that I had nothing left over to invest. That opportunity cost simply wasn't worth it, despite everyone laughing at my slightly dented, slowly rusting 20+ year old Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by CKN

The MSRP might be $75,000-not the transaction prices. WE are not talking about depreciation but affordability. Many on here can't afford $40,000.00 on a vehicle-whether it's new or used.

Yet people here with multi-million dollar portfolios who can, drive beater Volvos and Camrys.
crackmeup2.gif

Yet people here with multi-million dollar portfolios who can, drive beater Volvos and Camrys.
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe there is a lesson in that observation that you're completely missing.

It should be very revealing, yet you find it humorous.

I encourage you to pick up a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door" by Stanley & Danko. Read it. Find out what people of high net worth drive. How they think.

There is an enormous difference between having wealth, and simply spending money.

The preponderance of people driving luxury cars have low net worth.

Blowing all your money on cars is a great way to keep yourself from ever achieving financial independence.

Last edited:

Well, no.
Gas prices fell rapidly in late 2008 but there were literally hundreds of thousands of new SUVs in dealer and manufacturers inventories that now could be sold only at very steep discounts.
Used SUVs took a dive as well, which explains why retail leases dried up after the onset of the recession. Too many under water lease returns.
A tanking economy kills luxury sales and for most people, an SUV of any sort is more a luxury then a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back