Alternative to Blackstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my oil sample kit in the mail but I don't know if I want to pay $25 for a testing analysis. I know it's good to know the condition of your vehicle but at the same time I wish it was cheaper.

Are there better or cheaper but just as good alternatives to Blackstone?

And if so please provide information, not just a name. Thanks!

Wearcheck, texaco texcheck, amsoil has one, you can even buy kits from NAPA and if you have AAA, can get a discount on them!

I don't think $25 is a lot to pay for a simple UOA. How much cheaper can it get while still proving good, accurate results?

Save the 25 dollars if you are not planning on extending your oil change. If you keep your changes between 5 and 7 K....UOA's are most the time.....a waste of time and money.

I do agree with using a full synthetic oil, spending the money on a sample at 10K to know where the limit is. As a moderator that every one loves so much say's........extend it to da end and calculate, don't prcrastanate dem urle change intervals....or someting like that
smile.gif

One cheaper way is to buy a 10 pack on the Polaris website. Polaris handles Amspoil. You need the TBN or TAN. If you are going to get a UOA don't go cheap to skip the TBN.

Many of the places are a private label to a larger company. That is what Amsoil is.

I think it would be a great idea to have BITOG private label oil test kits.

At the very least, commit to getting the test done at every oil change so you can get some sort of baseline and see how the motor is doing over time, and how it does on different types of oil/intervals.

You get what you pay for with UOA results and Blackstones is a very good lab for any person doing UOA that is not a real expert at interpreting the results. Their comments are good and the real thing I like about them, is that if you have questions about your UOA that were not answered by their intial comments, you can e mail them and get a good reply. About the only thing I think they are wrong about is the lower TBN limit for the average oil, which they have set as 1. I think 3 is more sensible although I use a half of original figure due to extreme service considerations.

Once you have decided on your service schedule and are not experimenting or trying to extend it as I am, then an annual UOA (Or similar to fit your oil change timing) is a good insurance policy in terms of detecting coolant, fuel or air filter related Silicon contamination. If the results are good then they can help you sell the vehicle in some cases.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I got my oil sample kit in the mail but I don't know if I want to pay $25 for a testing analysis. I know it's good to know the condition of your vehicle but at the same time I wish it was cheaper.

Are there better or cheaper but just as good alternatives to Blackstone?

And if so please provide information, not just a name. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back