Alternative oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 1000cc Honda Talon side by side UTV. The owners manual oil specification says use API service SG or Higher except oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving. Then it says SAE 10-30 Jaso T 903 standard MA.

The engine transmission and clutch all run in oil just like a motorcycle does. I wish to not use Honda overpriced oil I would assume there is a oil that does not Have the Honda name on it and is more reasonable priced. What oil is there on the shelf that I can use with good results?

I'd use an HDEO - like Rotella or Delo. While a 15w40 would be fine in the summer, a 5w40 would be good all year around.

I'm not sure why Honda is getting away from 40-weight oils, it seems like they are switching to 30-weights.
My new Super Cub (same engine as the Grom) calls for their 10w30 in the manual.

Last edited:
IMO I would stay with the factory oil until your machine is out of warranty. When I purchased my CC XT2 lawn tractor, I asked if it would be fine to run Rotella in it and he stated that they do not protect as well as the Kohler 10W30 does. It fails to lubricate & cool as well is Kohler's formulation causing bluing of the metal components voiding the warranty. Granted, there is the possibility that he wants me to purchase the Kohler oil @ $4.99/qt,, but is it worth taking the chance of voiding the warranty if he is, in fact, correct? To me it wasn't in order to save a few dollars. Do as you feel safe doing but that is why I will stay with OEM oil so they cannot deny a possible claim over "improper" lubrication.

If you want OEM, here is a link for it on amazon that may be less:

https://www.amazon.com/HONDA-08C35-...mp;psc=1&refRID=0XY93SAKQN1V8R27119C

Kawasaki oil through Wal-mart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kawasaki-ATV-UTV-Engine-Oil-10W40-1-Gallon-K61021-304/387653182

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
, I asked if it would be fine to run Rotella in it and he stated that they do not protect as well as the Kohler 10W30 does.

That's pure poppycock!

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
IMO I would stay with the factory oil until your machine is out of warranty. When I purchased my CC XT2 lawn tractor, I asked if it would be fine to run Rotella in it and he stated that they do not protect as well as the Kohler 10W30 does. It fails to lubricate & cool as well is Kohler's formulation causing bluing of the metal components voiding the warranty. Granted, there is the possibility that he wants me to purchase the Kohler oil @ $4.99/qt,, but is it worth taking the chance of voiding the warranty if he is, in fact, correct? To me it wasn't in order to save a few dollars. Do as you feel safe doing but that is why I will stay with OEM oil so they cannot deny a possible claim over "improper" lubrication.

Dad's past few Kohler powered Cubs have had a steady diet of QS10w30, and either wix, or Motorcraft Filters(FL910s).

the Transmissions break long before the engines have any problems.

the ONLY times they have gotten the Kohler oil and Filters, are if it's already going into the shop, and it's close enough to needing to be changed. then he just has them do it.

Originally Posted by Durangoboy
I recently purchased a 1000cc Honda Talon side by side UTV. The owners manual oil specification says use API service SG or Higher except oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving. Then it says SAE 10-30 Jaso T 903 standard MA.

The engine transmission and clutch all run in oil just like a motorcycle does. I wish to not use Honda overpriced oil I would assume there is a oil that does not Have the Honda name on it and is more reasonable priced. What oil is there on the shelf that I can use with good results?

Castrol 4T $18.97/Gallon https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-Actevo-4T-10W-40-Part-Synthetic-Motorcycle-Oil-1-GAL/395747153

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back