Alternating Motor Oils

I'm curious to discover others' thoughts on the drawbacks of constantly changing the type of oil one uses in a particular vehicle. I understand that there are a great many people, who constantly refill their crankcases with whatever oil is cheapest at the time of oil change with no ill effects, so perhaps I should rephrase the question: is anyone aware of any benefits to constantly using the same oil (manufacturer and "model," if you will) over the life of an engine? I'm aware that manufacturers constantly adjust their formulations for all their oils, but some basic analysis by someone with very little knowledge of lubricant design (that's me) could lead said individual to think that using the same oil over the life of an engine should limit the extent of the change in formulation between any given oil change.

Why am I asking this? I'm one of those people, who would prefer to stick with a specific oil over the life of an engine (simply because it gives me the warm-and-fuzzies). I started using Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my 4Runner, but in my area, for some reason at Wal-####, availability of 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy alternates on a several-month cycle. One is constantly available while the other is not (this cycle predates the COVID-19 pandemic), so I'm thinking of forcing myself to adjust what gives me the warm-and-fuzzies and alternating between Extended Performance and Advanced Fuel Economy oils based on availability at Wal-####.

Thanks for your input. :)

I've used bulk oil from my work for over 30 years then after disability I have used what was on sale. Never had an engine failure due to the oil. Before that I used oil from whomever we were working for i.e. Shell, Exxon, Chevron again no engine failure

I'm curious to discover others' thoughts on the drawbacks of constantly changing the type of oil one uses in a particular vehicle.

so perhaps I should rephrase the question: is anyone aware of any benefits to constantly using the same oil (manufacturer and "model," if you will) over the life of an engine?

Thanks for your input. :)

Assuming the selected oil meets the requirements of the engine and its use.... ( and assuming all other variables null or equal)

The benefit is that all lubrication needs are properly met and combined with a proper PM regime will deliver the longest life cycle

Drawbacks of constantly changing.....

If the selected oils changed to meet the requirements above- no difference in outcome- if they don't then there is a potential for accelerated degradation.

Whether "constantly changing" is "worth it" or not is in the eye of the beholder

Sticking to 1 brand is preference more than anything, and there are endless reasons why someone may buy an oil over another. From price, all the way to how smooth their engine sounds with it. 1 guy may hate a specific oil brand or blend, and then the other guy with the same exact car loves that same oil.

One thing that became more and more true as time went on is that the price you pay doesn't correlate with the quality of the oil, unless your looking at dollar store/gas station generic oils without certifications or licenses. That's becoming less prevalent as more businesses are being told not to sell such products that are drastically out of spec for any modern engine lol.

I had high lead (70 ppm) when switch oil brands in my Hyundai Kona. I was working with an oil analyst at Polaris Labs with my fuel dilution. He was their Hyundai guy since he raced Hyundai's and built race motors. He said he thinks it was an add pack incompatibility between different brands, he has seen this exact scenario many times. I dumped that high lead oil and put the same brand oil back in and it was reduced to a non worrying amount after putting 2,000 miles on the new oil. Then with another change it stopped reacting and was duluted down, it was 2 ppm and was a non-issue. He said he thinks the lead is coming from the turbo bearing or the oil cooler solder.

The real question is: Will my motor last longer using the same brand oil, or will it last just as long using whatever brand/bulk I can throw in it.?

Propflux, I agree. That is, indeed, the question. And I agree that this entire conversation is based on the premise that the oil(s) selected meet(s) the specifications demanded by the engine manufacturer.

For those individuals who regularly change oil manufacturers, how do you adjust your oil change intervals? Do you just maintain the engine manufacturer's interval for all oils (since we're assuming for this conversation that all selected oils meet the engine manufacturer's specifications)? Or do you adjust your oil change intervals to meet your own "warm-and-fuzzies" based on your assessment of an oil's capabilities (again, understanding that all the oils that have been selected meet the same minimum specifications).

Thanks.

I had high lead (70 ppm) when switch oil brands in my Hyundai Kona. I was working with an oil analyst at Polaris Labs with my fuel dilution. He was their Hyundai guy since he raced Hyundai's and built race motors. He said he thinks it was an add pack incompatibility between different brands, he has seen this exact scenario many times. ...

Mainia, this is a very interesting assessment, and addresses one of my main concerns.

Is it generally viewed that the difference between two products from the same manufacturer (e.g. Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy) should have minimal differences in additive packages? This is assuming, of course, that the two product lines are designed for similar applications (not comparing a high-mileage oil to a general use oil, for example). Are the Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Advanced Fuel Economy products considered to be compatible? I can only assume that ExxonMobil would say: yes, all of our oils are that are designed for the same applications are compatible with each other.

Thanks!

Mainia, this is a very interesting assessment, and addresses one of my main concerns.

Is it generally viewed that the difference between two products from the same manufacturer (e.g. Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy) should have minimal differences in additive packages? This is assuming, of course, that the two product lines are designed for similar applications (not comparing a high-mileage oil to a general use oil, for example). Are the Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Advanced Fuel Economy products considered to be compatible? I can only assume that ExxonMobil would say: yes, all of our oils are that are designed for the same applications are compatible with each other.

Thanks!

Let me address this up to the point of not violating an NDA.

Don't confuse "marketing claims" designed to promote and sell products to various market sects with actual chemical recipe or other performance characteristics.

There is a base recipe and formulation band ( the base brand) with plenty of room for minor deviations that can be done with a minimum of R&D and production alteration ( often just dosing or maybe adding a part).

That's one of the reasons this information is closely secured IP because if the people actually knew how little difference there was, it would impact sales and possibly adversely affect the brand.

But every manufacturer does this in every product to a degree- its just business.

I do it all the time, currently Euro 0w30 in winter and Euro 5w40 or my current Franken Brew which is 50/50 Mobil 1 5w30 with Mobil TDT 5w40 this summer. The common theme is a kinematic viscosity of around 12 cSt in my 200,000 mile LS engine.

3.5 Ecoboost with 400,000 mi using the Oil Change Special every 7,000 mi from the local autoparts whatever it happens to be. What does that tell you?

Besides the formulation seems to change about every 24 months so how would you use the same oil for life unless you bought a lifetime supply when you bought the vehicle?

We frequently see slightly more oil consumption and wear values during the first oil change interval with a different oil. This may be do to small differences in viscosity and additives. I prefer to research oils for my new vehicle and keep using that brand, unless someting rears its ugly head about the oil. Just my way. Ed

I had high lead (70 ppm) when switch oil brands in my Hyundai Kona. I was working with an oil analyst at Polaris Labs with my fuel dilution. He was their Hyundai guy since he raced Hyundai's and built race motors. He said he thinks it was an add pack incompatibility between different brands, he has seen this exact scenario many times. I dumped that high lead oil and put the same brand oil back in and it was reduced to a non worrying amount after putting 2,000 miles on the new oil. Then with another change it stopped reacting and was duluted down, it was 2 ppm and was a non-issue. He said he thinks the lead is coming from the turbo bearing or the oil cooler solder.

Wasn't Redline was it? it seems to react with soft metal when first introduced. Doesn't seem to effect it's performance long-term. I assume after a little while a surface layer forms and the characteristic spike goes away.

Thanks!

If you stay with a brand there is very little worry because the add packs would be very similar. And there is a very good chance if you don't have a Hyundai turbo with some lead in it's turbo bearing you would not have that reaction. I just happened to be testing when the possible compatibility happened. I could very well still get 200,000 miles with no issues even with UOA's being high lead.

Assuming the selected oil meets the requirements of the engine and its use.... ( and assuming all other variables null or equal)

The benefit is that all lubrication needs are properly met and combined with a proper PM regime will deliver the longest life cycle

Drawbacks of constantly changing.....

If the selected oils changed to meet the requirements above- no difference in outcome- if they don't then there is a potential for accelerated degradation.

Whether "constantly changing" is "worth it" or not is in the eye of the beholder

Indeed, I expect this is far closer to the truth than many realize. Now, that said, sometimes the differences are, by virtue of material available, a bit more obvious. M1 EP and (and AP which I believe has now been discontinued) had significantly more PAO in them for the same grade than AFE or other traditional M1 grades, so there's a "value" angle there, particularly if you could get either of those two products on sale for around the same price as the plain-Jane product.

Indeed, I expect this is far closer to the truth than many realize. Now, that said, sometimes the differences are, by virtue of material available, a bit more obvious. M1 EP and (and AP which I believe has now been discontinued) had significantly more PAO in them for the same grade than AFE or other traditional M1 grades, so there's a "value" angle there, particularly if you could get either of those two products on sale for around the same price as the plain-Jane product.

Currently at Walmart EP is $0.01 cheaper than "Vanilla" after rebate.
$1.99 more for a 5 qt Jug but $2.00 higher rebate.

Change oil on almost every OCI only very slight difference which are more than likely NOACK. But the Corolla may be slipping on my last OCI of Pennzoil 5W-20 HM my oil usage went up from a cup to still under 1/2 quart. I'm almost loosing sleep over this but on second though maybe its my wife doing that to me.

Back