Almost got zapped

In in-laws wanted to me to fix their outdoor light post light. It's always lit and the photocell is not working. Armed with a new photocell and some tools I tackled the project. Turned the light on. Switched a couple breakers and when the light went off, I went to work. Someone messed with the wires inside the outdoor box and bypassed the photocell. I removed the old one, installed the new one and put my hand over the cell's eye while I closed the box and the light went on.. Oops. I got lucky. Guess I never touched the hot wire. Be careful out there. No idea why the light went out with the breaker still on.

That's why I always touch the hot wire to neutral to make sure it's dead.

If you don't want to spend $20, at least just use a multimeter.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 141605.jpg

120v may put a grin on one's face, but 100kV from an ignition lead will cause you to do the two step!

That isn’t a multi meter. Its a non contact tester.

It’s good for finding things, but you always want to verify it with an actual meter.

I know what a multimeter is and assume the poster I was replying to has one. Presented that option as opposed to touching the hot and neutral together which was probably a joke anyway, no one in their right mind would do such a thing.

I know what a multimeter is and assume the poster I was replying to has one. Presented that option as opposed to touching the hot and neutral together which was probably a joke anyway, no one in their right mind would do such a thing.
I have before. 🤷‍♂️

It’s better than getting shocked. Cover your eyes and boom.

*That tool purchase is just a bad idea. The fluke model even more so.

120v may put a grin on one's face, but 100kV from an ignition lead will cause you to do the two step!
120v household can kill if you are touching something grounded with your other hand., your ignition voltage will not kill a healthy person, just wake you up..

Wasn't a joke. If the circuit is live, the worst that happens is a pop and a spark and the circuit is dead.

Also handy for when you can't find the breaker for a given circuit.

Been zapped many times, while not pleasant, it’s not a paralyzing shock like many imagine it. Being careful is still recommended though.

Movies seem to have a very large influence on how people perceive things. Like exploding gasoline tanks, or BBQ tanks when shot.
I got shocked by household current when I was about 5 years old and remember it vividly. It was a very weird vibration feeling that I don't want to experience again.

Back