Almost Bought an Insight Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may remember my thread about buying my 09 Fit. A few who read that might remember I sat out to buy an Insight b/c of the "low price" only to find out that you had to buy a top of the line EX to even get cruise control. So, instead of paying $23k for an Insight, I paid $17k for a Fit Sport Auto. Generally, I've been thrilled with the car. Gas mileage is in the 40's when I'm gentle with it. But usually drops to near the EPA highway (33) when I have to rush to work-which has been often lately.

Anywho...got an interesting email from my dealer today. Seems they are trying to clear out a bit of older stock and they had a silver Insight EX reduced to $19,917. Man, I yelled at my computer. Called the wifey and got "permission" to call the salesman and run numbers. While I waited for him to call back, I ran my own numbers on the diffference in mpg between the two and how much money I would save over 5 yrs buy driving the Insight instead of the Fit. Based on real world and EPA, the biggest savings I could see was about $4,600 over a 5 year period. Sadly...after we ran numbers and went back and forth, I couldn't make it work. Depending on APR, about the least amount of money I'd be out on the deal would have been about $5,800. I wasn't going to lose $1-2k on the deal so I said thanks but no thanks. Still, it was tempting. Interior apointment-wise, there's not much difference bewteen the Fit and the Insight. But I would have loved to have had the bluetooth, nav, and VSA. Plus...I guess...I admit I'd like to have a hybrid for the cool factor. Not the "look at me" cool factor-just the hybrid-y tech cool factor.

I think that I would go for a Prius before an Insight, and I'm usually a Honda guy. I think I'm just too tied up with aesthetics though. The last Prius looked like an egg. The new one looks kind of nice and elegant. The Insight seems dated in comparison. And Toyota seems to have hybrid technology down pat.

Last edited:
Toyota did invent the technology used in Honda automatic hybrids.
It's the tech from the 1st gen Prius. Honda bought the technology from Toyota a few years ago for the Accord hybrid.

I've heard Toyota licensed its hybrid technology to Nissan for the Altima hybrid, but I didn't know they also licensed it to Honda.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I think that I would go for a Prius before an Insight, and I'm usually a Honda guy. The last Prius looked like an egg. The new one looks kind of nice and elegant. The Insight seems dated in comparison. And Toyota seems to have hybrid technology down pat.

Ditto. Insight looks like a 7/8 scale old [censored] Prius.

Look, I like the new Prius as well. If it had been out when I originally went shopping, I WOULD have bought it over the Insight or Fit. But it wasn't. And you sure don't see the new ones around here for $19k. That was my point.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
It's the tech from the 1st gen Prius. Honda bought the technology from Toyota a few years ago for the Accord hybrid.

Do you have a source on that?

Brian: Did you test drive an Insight? Everything I've read makes me think the Fit is basically a superior car as far as driving dynamics goes. Makes the Insight kind of a hard pill to swallow given its normal price.

buy a ford focus or a cobalt, good mpg and it helps american workers like me...i work at a supplier in NH

Originally Posted By: JustinC25

I call your bluff. Honda has just as many research dollars as Toyota, and although some of their systems are similar, they didn't just "buy" old Toyota tech and implement it in new cars.

The hybrid boards host many complaints about Honda drive-batteries failing. Check it out before you buy.

Also, they did not license their hybrid drive systems from Toy, IIRC.

So let me get this straight-you have a Honda that's less than a year old that you like, and you were ready to trade it in on new one for the "cool" factor.

At least you ran the numbers and realized that it was a dumb idea.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Brian: Did you test drive an Insight? Everything I've read makes me think the Fit is basically a superior car as far as driving dynamics goes. Makes the Insight kind of a hard pill to swallow given its normal price.

No, I agree. I never test drove the Insight when I bought the Fit b/c I was so cheesed at how much you'd have to pay for one that even had cruise control. Car and Driver, even in their comparo between the Insight and new Prius, said that although the Insight was the better driving car between the two, the Fit was a better (and more fun) deal.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So let me get this straight-you have a Honda that's less than a year old that you like, and you were ready to trade it in on new one for the "cool" factor.

At least you ran the numbers and realized that it was a dumb idea.

Coolness and mpg savings. I have a 160 mile per day commute. Yeah well, the reason I jumped for a minute was I was thinking about the original numbers I ran when evaluating the two back in May. When the Insight was priced $6k more than the Fit, it made no sense. But at only $2k more than a Fit, it's a heck of a deal. I completely forgot about the depreciation of my car. When I factored in KBB trade in value (which my dealer refuses to deviate from) I knew it was not going to happen.

And, of course, there's Jeremy Clarkson's take on the 2009 Insight...
21.gif

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article6294116.ece

Quote:
It’s terrible. Biblically terrible. Possibly the worst new car money can buy. It’s the first car I’ve ever considered crashing into a tree, on purpose, so I didn’t have to drive it any more.

The biggest problem, and it’s taken me a while to work this out, because all the other problems are so vast and so cancerous, is the gearbox. For reasons known only to itself, Honda has fitted the Insight with something called constantly variable transmission (CVT).

It doesn’t work. Put your foot down in a normal car and the revs climb in tandem with the speed. In a CVT car, the revs spool up quickly and then the speed rises to match them. It feels like the clutch is slipping. It feels horrid.

And the sound is worse. The Honda’s petrol engine is a much-shaved, built-for-economy, low-friction 1.3 that, at full chat, makes a noise worse than someone else’s crying baby on an airliner. It’s worse than the sound of your parachute failing to open. Really, to get an idea of how awful it is, you’d have to sit a dog on a ham slicer.

So you’re sitting there with the engine screaming its head off, and your ears bleeding, and you’re doing only 23mph because that’s about the top speed, and you’re thinking things can’t get any worse, and then they do because you run over a small piece of grit.

Oh yeah, well aware. But it's based on a Fit, which I drive and like very well...So it can't be THAT much worse than what I'm used to driving every day.

There has to be a way to add cruise to a stripper insight. You probably need a cooperative dealer service department to reflash your computer. The sales floor would of course rather have you get six grand worth of useless bells and whistles.

There are also aftermarket audiovox units etc that manually tie into the acellerator pedal, even on drive-by-wire cars, if a good stereo shop is determined to make it happen.

I agree the option game is a charade, making people get heated seats and a super stereo for some other basic driving need. Coworker wanted manual windows and cruise in his vibe; dealer said no can do, so he went aftermarket. "They" assume people want power windows with everything.

True. I just had cruise added to my Silverado work truck and all that was required was a new stalk with a cruise button!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back