almost a junk truck? what to do.

I would let the buyer know that it runs and drives, and let them take it out on a test drive. I would answer any questions that the buyer has truthfully, but wouldn't volunteer anything additional. Have a bill of sale ready specifying it is being sold as is and where is, have the buyer sign the bill and keep a copy with their signature.

I have a hard time believing that any semi-intelligent buyer of a truck of that vintage and price point is under the impression that the truck will perform flawlessly for many months to come.

Scrap around here is way down, my son just parted a 2000's silverado minus engine, trans and cats and only got $30 for the scrap weight.

I would let the buyer know that it runs and drives, and let them take it out on a test drive. I would answer any questions that the buyer has truthfully, but wouldn't volunteer anything additional. Have a bill of sale ready specifying it is being sold as is and where is, have the buyer sign the bill and keep a copy with their signature.

I have a hard time believing that any semi-intelligent buyer of a truck of that vintage and price point is under the impression that the truck will perform flawlessly for many months to come.
Dont underestimate the skills of some humans when it comes to stupidity. My BIL just sold a 20 yr old car to a guy and it turned into a twilight zone episode for him.

Scrap around here is way down, my son just parted a 2000's silverado minus engine, trans and cats and only got $30 for the scrap weight.

There is a auto salvage place 5 min from my house they pay $600 and they come get it you just need the title for them to pay. It is just a option.

Yes but you know how people can be sometimes.

I worry about someone driving it with the steering the way it is, i don't have any insurance on it. The fluid it leaks is thinner than motor oil.

I've never experienced a rack and pinion failure but that wouldn't cause a fluid leak would it? Maybe it's a hose busted i say that because it seems to leak if you try to turn the wheel.

It's also a 5 cylinder engine.
I had the same truck with the Colorado badge. The power steering hoses have metal pipe crimped in the middle section, and that is bolted to a crossmember on the frame between the front wheels. Mine got rusty and started leaking. I was able to order the new hose assembly and replace it myself, fixed that problem.
That 3.5 liter 5 cyl was known for head problems, but it would have surfaced by now if yours was going to be a problem. I sold mine to my BIL at 204k, and he's nearly at 220k now, engine still going strong!

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I had the same truck with the Colorado badge. The power steering hoses have metal pipe crimped in the middle section, and that is bolted to a crossmember on the frame between the front wheels. Mine got rusty and started leaking. I was able to order the new hose assembly and replace it myself, fixed that problem.
That 3.5 liter 5 cyl was known for head problems, but it would have surfaced by now if yours was going to be a problem. I sold mine to my BIL at 204k, and he's nearly at 220k now, engine still going strong!
Here is a photo of the power steering lines I removed and replaced

Attachments

• power steering.jpg
    power steering.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Helpful
Put it on CL.....but be honest. Someone who is handy may want it....maybe just for parts. BE HONEST....it will help you sleep at night.

Put it on CL.....but be honest. Someone who is handy may want it....maybe just for parts. BE HONEST....it will help you sleep at night.
Full disclosure of every issue and every possible issue, in the ad listing, is a win for all parties.

Do trucks have rack & pinion? I thought they had recirculating ball. Maybe only in the bigger 3/4 ton and above?
I’d say most half ton trucks are rack and pinion now, and have been for a while. And some are all electric rack and pinion.

Does that $5 ad last indefinitely? There’s a few ads I’ve seen for months. I think one might have been up for a year now…

Does that $5 ad last indefinitely? There’s a few ads I’ve seen for months. I think one might have been up for a year now…

Yes, it's just a listing fee to keep the scammers away, you can keep the ad up as long as you want. I've found CL around here to be dead, the last few things I've listed on CL got little response. Offerup is where I ended up selling.

Back