Allstate insurance. Are they ok?

i have been with the same car insurer for 30 years . when i bought my new car are they raise my rates $600 . i got a quote from Allstate with the same coverage and it was $ 350 less per year.

So how is Allstate to deal with ? your opinions please

They did the same to me over the years. Kept raising, raising, and raising for no reason. Switched to a different insurer for $700 less every six months. (Michigan insurance is a scam)

There are many good auto insurance companies that are much lower in cost than Allstate. Check out Progressive, Gieco, and several others before going with Allstate.

I switched to Allstate a few years ago for the exact same reason....they gave me a great low rate.....but they raised my rates every year since despite having no claims....now they are about at the same rate as my old company.....It's time to start comparing rates again...

Their standard cheapest liability only policy is umbrella. They paid when an uninsured motorist hit my son's car.

I had Allstate for over 20 years. They were fine until I had a claim. Terrible service, inferred my wife was a liar. I dropped Allstate, and went to USAA. They've been terrific. They paid me more than a car was worth after totaling it hitting a deer. When my son was deployed, they dropped his auto rate by 85%. When he came home on R&R, we called USAA to let them know he was driving. They said to have a good time, let us know when he's back for good, leaving the rate at the deployed rate.

I have the Hartford now. Did have State Farm and had Progressive and Geico for a while. Hartford has good coverage at a reasonable price. Had it 3 years now with no rate increase.

I got a rate quote from them and they were about $100 cheaper than Geico which I currently have. But I read their quote carefully and there was a 1st year driver discount in there that was about $200. So after a year, you'd save $100 but then have to switch the next year when the discount disappeared and the rate went up. Too much hassle to switch back and forth every year so I didn't bother.

I had Amica at one point for years, but the same thing there, their rates kept going up and when I switched to Geico, it was several hundred dollars cheaper. I called Amica up to complain about the high rate and the lady basically said she couldn't because if she could, she'd do something. So I switched.

I've got Allstate. When my wife sideswiped the 300 on a pole I had a check in my mailbox 48 hours after I put the claim in, and had no problems working with the body shop for the rest of it. My agent is also awesome to deal with, but your mileage may vary.

Dropping the 300 and adding the truck DROPPED my insurance by $20 a month!

I had Allstate for over 10 years. by the end of that time my rates had doubled, no reason, no accidents or claims of any kind. Called them once about being hit by a shopping cart while in the store at WalMart. I figured it would be covered under my "0" deductible Comprehensive coverage....UhUh, no way, collision. The shopping cart was moving.

Then they all play the "Vanishing Deductible" game. This is where your deductible goes down each year until it is "0". Except the amount you pay for it NEVER DISAPPEARS! So you end up paying a deductible each year for accident you didn't have! Stupid plan, but even more stupid on my part for falling for it.

Went with Progressive, saved $425.00 every 6 months. They have their games too of course. Specifically asked if the initial quote was a "Teaser Rate". No! we don't do that. Come renewal time, that turned into a "New Customer Discount". Duh, same thing according to my wallet. Price went up.

I saved money with Progressive (so far) and will never go back to Allstate.

They were fine until I had the nerve to buy a car with a "GT" label on it. Then they became hugely expensive and a pain to deal with. It was obvious they no longer wanted me a customer. I obliged them.

I shop every 3 years. Have had Hartford through AARP and just changing over to Ameriprise through Costco. Couple hundred cheaper for better coverage. They all play the same game of increasing costs, same as home insurance. Pays to shop.

Try eSurance as well. They are owned by allstate but were cheaper for us.

Always good to check at least 2-3 every year.

I have zero allegiance towards any insurance company.

Call a broker and let them get you a quote on 20-30 companies and see what they come up with.

We ended up best deal was a bundle with progressive, for far cheaper than I could get myself on the progressive website.

Home and auto. Home insurance is $525/year with $1000 deductible, Car insurance is $1150 Annually for two cars.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I know someone that had Allstate. They had to wait over 4 months for a payout after an accident.

2 very expensive repairs on my F150. Allstate paid with no issues! 1st one was $12K, the other $4.5K

I've had Allstate for about 5 years. Best rates around here, big, disorganized agency I use who dropped one driver for some reason, dropped one car for some reason (I had 2 Honda Civics bought the same day...when one got totalled, they dropped BOTH off the policy?!?), so I have to watch them carefully. Claims handling is so-so, but I was an independent adjuster and physical damage appraiser for 15 years, so I know enough about how this works to get things done. If I wanted great claims handling and an overall nicer experience I'd get Firemans Fund or Chubb, but I'm too cheap for that.

Back