Allis Chalmers WD gear oil

I recently tore down my transmission and torque tube in this tractor to replace some leaking seals between the gear oil and hydraulic oil. This tractor has 2 clutches. The main clutch is on the flywheel like most tractors. The other is a wet hand clutch submerged in gear lube, which let's you stop tractor movement without stopping the hydraulics. I already bought a pail of gear lube to put back in but I noticed it said Cam 2 80w90 LS. So it must have limited slip additive already in it. Will that cause issues with the hand clutch?

Don’t think so. Does it call for the limited slip additive? If so then you should be fine if the oil already has it in there.

I would just use regular 80w90. Not sure if the LS would cause issues since it is a wet clutch. Those hand clutches are pretty neat, I love those old WD's. I grew up with Farmalls but always like the Allis-chalmers.

I believe JG HYtran or a fluid like Rotella UTF (10w-30 visc, gl-4 protection) would be suitable for the hydro side which shares fluid with the second hand clutch mechanism. You can run it in the geared transmission side also instead of 80w-90ep, but I would base that on how hot your operating climate is.

Back