Allis Chalmers 5045 tractor strange contamination in Hygard

This is John Deere Hygard that was drained out of our Allis Chalmers 5045 tractor with 3 years and maybe 150 hours on it. This has been a repeated problem with this tractor in the 15 years or so it has been in the family. I get milky hydraulic fluid and this slime junk in the hydraulic filter. The tractor is stored inside and never wet unless it is being hand washed. It used to get stored outside years ago and the problem was just as bad. There are no coolers or other fluids in neighboring compartments to mix. It has been an issue on yellow bucket 303, Oreillys Premium fluid and Hygard.
350186AA-A7A0-4E0F-9951-8BBBF7F81959.jpeg
8ABB14AA-CD06-4098-ADB3-B5985A36E354.jpeg

I will sample it once it starts to turn milky again. Until then any ideas?

Are you using this tractor with remote rams connected to the tractor with hoses? Is the fluid used in both transmission and hydraulic system? I have seen fluid contaminated by remote rams which contained old fluid with contamination.

Check you shifter boots. Was source of water contamination on my case 210
Sadly there are no true sealing devices on the shifters. It’s a metal disc pressed against a dome shaped area in the shift cover by a spring. It’s a poor design and one reason why I keep it inside all the time.
Are you using this tractor with remote rams connected to the tractor with hoses? Is the fluid used in both transmission and hydraulic system? I have seen fluid contaminated by remote rams which contained old fluid with contamination.
Only using on one piece of equipment with a remote cylinder. It is brand new and I flushed the lines when I bought it so I wouldn’t contaminate my Hygard. Yes, this fluid lies in a common sump for transmission, differential, and hydraulics.

I have determined that the slime in the filter is algae from the water contamination. I’ll be adding some diesel biocide at the recommended dose for my capacity with a fluid change every year.

You’re 100% there’s no radiator cooled transmission cooler that could somehow cause the contamination? Does it use coolant?

Also, does it have multiple drain plugs and/ or are you certain all the old is being drained? The water would be the last to drain so it would make sense old is getting left behind. Over time, you’d think it’d eventually go away though.

Try not had washing it for a while. Maybe it’s getting in that way somehow.

You’re 100% there’s no radiator cooled transmission cooler that could somehow cause the contamination? Does it use coolant?

Also, does it have multiple drain plugs and/ or are you certain all the old is being drained? The water would be the last to drain so it would make sense old is getting left behind. Over time, you’d think it’d eventually go away though.

Try not had washing it for a while. Maybe it’s getting in that way somehow.
There is no cooler. I am 100% sure. There's 2 drain plugs that get pulled every time and usually left open 24 hours minimum. The only coolant loss I had was maybe a few ounces a year that was coming from the weep hole on the water pump. I replaced the pump this weekend.

I would think condensation is getting moisture inside that system. I would change out fluid twice a year and see if you can keep it in check so you dont get corrosion.
I might remove two or three quarts after a few months since a change and see the drained fluid in a clean glass container. Just to see if it seperates out or stays milky. Then just add the few quarts back in with new fluid.
If you change it twice a year you might determine if summer humidity or winter cold temps are getting the condensation inside..

Back