Neighborly advice, how I hate it !!!

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Lately I'm finding that staying 6 feet away from everyone else is just about right.

LOL I've actually been increasing the social distance lately...12 feet for most people, 8 or 9 for people I like.

He's a decent enough guy, I should make that clear, but once he gets something in his head, it's there to stay, and he feels obligated to share. Oh well, it's somewhat harmless especially when directed at me. I guess I just got a full load of BS and was running over, and had to vent.
It really is hard to believe that people don't look any farther than their noses. I mean, there is a wealth of proper information out there, and it's hard to ignore the advancements in the 21st century.

Originally Posted by rob1715
You kids today with your Hi-Fi stereos and color television sets and telephones not attached to the wall. Back in my day all we had dirt, and we LIKED IT!!!!!

What? I walked 5 miles each way to school with no shoes in the snow. School house wasn't heated. But I will say we could take our rifles to school as we had to hunt for dinner on the way home.

Sounds like my daughter's boyfriend. "I would never by a Grand Caravan and by the looks of it you don't like it". Me "Hmm why you say that?" Him "You used it to haul building materials and now you are pouring Valvoline in it". I chuckled then he go "You do know Valvoline engines normally sludge up?" I got speechless. Now my daughter is so wondering why I don't approve of him since he is a mechanic.

"He proceeded to inform me that you can't mix syn and dino oil"

I guess he's never seen Motorcraft semi syn oil at Walmart then...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by rob1715
You kids today with your Hi-Fi stereos and color television sets and telephones not attached to the wall. Back in my day all we had dirt, and we LIKED IT!!!!!

What? I walked 5 miles each way to school with no shoes in the snow. School house wasn't heated. But I will say we could take our rifles to school as we had to hunt for dinner on the way home.

You forgot the uphill both ways part.

I use type F in all 3 of the 300 series I take care of.

They specify low vis hygard(back spec) is ok but all the old fluid must be flushed..

call me silly but the 316 at the farm has over 4000 hours on it.. with type f.
must not be that picky.

now if I was filling a dry new unit.. definitely the low-vis hygard.

Rules for working at Autozone:

1. Pretend you know everything
2. Act like everyone else knows nothing, and that you must do them a service by informing them about all that you know
3. Up-sell more expensive although not necessarily better products, and inform customers of their mistake if they turn you down

Originally Posted by bchannell
He's a decent enough guy, I should make that clear, but once he gets something in his head, it's there to stay, and he feels obligated to share. Oh well, it's somewhat harmless especially when directed at me. I guess I just got a full load of BS and was running over, and had to vent.
It really is hard to believe that people don't look any farther than their noses. I mean, there is a wealth of proper information out there, and it's hard to ignore the advancements in the 21st century.

A)
I'd have scolded him relentlessly-

" You mean to tell me you waited til I got elbows deep in this project to offer your tips on how to do it right ? " Then bust out laughing so he knows your are just having some fun with him, maybe ignore any further details of that topic.

B)
"I've got the JD425-ZTP... .that's the one with the modified sump and ionized magnetic filter. Yeah, I paid a bit extra for the ZTP option but it's not as fussy about fluid specs as the other models. "

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Lately I'm finding that staying 6 feet away from everyone else is just about right.

I'm actually driving with more space and following distance.
Not really even consciously doing it nor ever been a tail-gater but I suppose it's safer.

I would have politely informed him of how he was wrong.

Maybe throw in a sarcastic comment on how it's AutoZone we now have to thank for these wives tales... depending on how much of a relationship you have with him.

One day many years ago I was helping a neighbor change the oil in his truck . It was an old F150 with the 300 straight 6 engine . When it came time to add the new oil he informed me that " you always run a Ford a quart low " . I asked where in the [censored] did he hear that nonsense ? He said an old mechanic told him that . Said the old boy had been working on vehicles for 50 years , blah , blah . No changing his mind . One quart low , done deal .

The less I see and talk to my neighbors the better. Half the time, he's having trouble with something on his own vehicles then it quickly follows up with swearing the whole neighborhood has to hear 🤷

Back