Alligators

South Carolina: Alligators, copperheads, water mocassins, Oh! My!
got those, rattlers, and coral snakes - young lady at the Vet had a video of a large coral snake travel under her lawn chair - they are venomous - but not aggressive strikers like the PV’s - but found it odd how it decided to crawl towards her and under the chair …

got those, rattlers, and coral snakes - young lady at the Vet had a video of a large coral snake travel under her lawn chair - they are venomous - but not aggressive strikers like the PV’s - but found it odd how it decided to crawl towards her and under the chair …
Well, if she was attractive. You know how those snakes in the grass are. Now if she is a bit large, maybe it was for the shade.

• Haha
Reactions: 4WD
Oh yeah. I lived in Florida for awhile and my house backed up to a small wetland preserve. Saw them all the time but I kept a wide berth.

Every so often on the news some “Florida Man” would let their dog or child play near a pond or lake and a gator would snatch them up.

Several smoke houses in my circle advertise their service for deer.
What would they do if I showed up with 'gator?
Is there a 'cut chart' like they have for steer beef?

Most states alligator hunting is strictly controlled and the penalties strong for killing a gator. You cant just go out an kill one, heck in SC you cant use a rifle either Im pretty sure.
I know SC you have to apply for a permit in a lottery system much like Florida and others, as they are protected species. Florida fee I think is a few hundred dollars and out of state I think in the 4 figures.
IN SC one gator per permit per season and that season is around one month towards the fall.

Best piece of advice is to NEVER underestimate the burst speed of these things, you can not outrun them in a 50 yard sprint. Directly between the eyes, about 2 inches high is the weakest spot on the top of them.

No, the tail is pretty much the only meat to eat. Some people do the ribs but the juice aint worth the squeeze in opening up the insides of one of these, just lop off the tail.

Yeah, More SC stuff: I forgot the coral snakes but then you go in the water where you find the sharks and, now and then, Portuguese Man 'O War.

YOU can easily out run an alligator. The only place an alligator is really fast is when it sprints out of the water to grab prey along the shoreline, oops and also of course in the water.
They use their tail in a whip like motion to propel them. Once on land they can run briefly up to 11 MPH and tire almost as fast after a few seconds. Also note, its hard for them to see in front of themselves.

Here is the expert

Last edited:
Don't be a chicken. Then again, we might 'taste just like chicken' to them!

This explains the rejection notices I get for my Florida "Bayou Old Folks' Home" and "Swamp-side Pre-School" business proposals.
The "Sunshine State Doggie Day Care" idea didn't fly either.

I often think I'd love to move out of the UK to somewhere warmer... then I see things like this and get back under my umbrella.
It makes life fun and interesting, they are kind of cute, true you don't want to walk your dog next too ponds.
But they aren't cruising the land hunting down humans. ;)
I was surprised that they can climb gates, at least the one in SC video posted in here. I doubt all can.
They have been known to wonder to different ponds. Just have to respect wildlife.

Back