All Purpose ATF - Maxlife and now many others

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Toyota, WS is NOT compatible with T-IV or Dexron ATF.

http://freepdfhosting.com/cd481dc8ae.pdf

If that is the case then how can there be so many lubricant manufactures now marketing an all purpose ATF product that meets the specs and works as both Toyota WS AND T-IV; Dexron III AND Dexron VI; Mercon, Mercon V, AND Mercon LV; etc. etc.

It seems that the viscosity requirement by the transmission manufactures must not make much difference because I see anything from around 5.8 to 8 csT that is all suppose to be fine now for Toyota Type IV ?

I have been searching but can find much in the way of answers. If anyone has this figured out please comment.

Last edited:
I'm now running Valvoline Mercon V full synthetic, Mobil 1 full synthetic and Havoline Mercon V. All purchased on Amazon. I bypassed the radiator cooler and installed a remote transmission cooler to avoid the notorious, "Strawberry Milkshake", common with transmission failures of my era Toyota 4Runners. Original radiator is still in use and is 18+ years old.

This is a blended mix of 14 quarts with 2 bottles of Lubeguard Black bottle.

My Toyota Application calls for Dexron III. So far smooth sailing with the blended mix of the ATF.

IMHO....if your application calls for Dexron/Mercon....Mercon V
is a very good fluid for use. Mercon V is a full synthetic and exceeds the standards for the application of Dexron III.

Last edited:
Lots of people use Mobil 3309 for Toyota Transmissions that call for Type IV.

In fact, the Mobil 3309 fluid comes in the same shape bottle as the Toyota Type IV. The Toyota Type IV comes in a black bottle and the Mobil 3309 in a blue bottle.

Some state that the Toyota fluid is exactly the same as the Mobil 3309 fluid....except for the price. The Toyota fluid is 3X the cost of the Mobil 3309 fluid.

So.....research and make your decision.

I use Amsoil Universal. My transmission requires D3. The honda is in the same boat as you. For that I use Honda ATF.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
If that is the case then how can there be so many lubricant manufactures now marketing an all purpose ATF product that meets the specs and works as both Toyota WS AND T-IV; Dexron III AND Dexron VI; Mercon, Mercon V, AND Mercon LV; etc. etc.

Because *TOYOTA's* T-IV isn't, they're not commenting on other brands, on their own.

It is up to the mfr of the fluid to state which specs it meets, not Toyota.

Last edited:
I suppose if you are under warranty you'd want to continue using WS fluid from Toyota. Nothing stops you though from completely removing the WS fluid and replacing it with something better.
laugh.gif
Aftermarker fluid marked WS has to be as good, never worse.

Last edited:
Also, many people use Valvoline MaxLife ATF, synthetic or synthetic blend, with great success, as a substitute for the Toyota WS or Toyota Type IV or the Dexron III.

where can you buy mobil 3309?
are they (type 4 and the mobil 3309) both made in the same plant?
someone must know?

In the 80s I went through a saw blade plant that made about 7 brands in the same plant- one assembly line, just different names

Pennzoil full synthetic multi-vehicles ATF does meets the specs of many ATF types, according to their claim on the label on the back bottle

It seems that the viscosity requirement by the transmission manufactures must not make much difference because I see anything from around 5.8 to 8 csT that is all suppose to be fine now for Toyota Type IV ?

I have been searching but can find much in the way of answers. If anyone has this figured out please comment.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...er_#Post3014880

Viscosity and shear stability are much improved in the newer LV fluids verses the older fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back