All front end parts are worn out on the dodge.

If it’s a Cummins 4X4, there is an awful lot of weight on the front suspension-so much the frame flexes & the steering boxes wear out prematurely, too.
No it's 2wd, but it does have a cummins. The thing about the dodge is I think it's the same half ton truck frame on the 3/4 and 1 tons

Thats the way it was with the Ex's 74 Duster. Front suspension rebuild lasted about 6 months. Mopar can not build a suspension that lasts.
The old torsion bar systems on cars were among the best there have ever been, on any make. If your rebuild lasted 6 months, crappy parts were installed. My '67 Belvedere still has all 4 original ball joints.

The old torsion bar systems on cars were among the best there have ever been, on any make. If your rebuild lasted 6 months, crappy parts were installed. My '67 Belvedere still has all 4 original ball joints.
From what I've heard the ball joints need to be bigger for this type of truck. I actually think the 3rd gen dodges are just half tons still

oh the frames are thicker on the 3/4 and 1 tons?
I want to say on the 2nd gen they’re 3/16 on the 1500 and 1/4 on the 2500/3500. 3500 and HD 2500 are really just a sing,e or dual rear wheel setup, and maybe an axle and helper spring difference iirc. All 3500 got Dana 80, while only MT 2500s got the 80, AT got the 70, iirc.

100k isn't terrible, esp if it's supporting a CTD

The obvious problem is finding true OEM-level replacements. One guy had the local Ford dealer (long story) put new ball joints on his '07.5 Ram 2500 (I don't know if the 6.7 is even heavier than the 5.9?) and in ~18 months the uppers have play again. I can only assume they used whatever O'Reilly or AutoZone had on the shelf.

100k isn't terrible, esp if it's supporting a CTD

The obvious problem is finding true OEM-level replacements. One guy had the local Ford dealer (long story) put new ball joints on his '07.5 Ram 2500 (I don't know if the 6.7 is even heavier than the 5.9?) and in ~18 months the uppers have play again. I can only assume they used whatever O'Reilly or AutoZone had on the shelf.
I use moog problem solver line. Lasts the same as oem. I'm sure moog is what they come with from the factory anyways. Not like they have that many different manufacturers if ball joints and such. I'm actually just paying for the labor. They're warranting all the moog parts except the bushings because those weren't replaced last time

What is it with dodge only getting 100k out of suspension components? Everything except the upper control arm bushings were shot. The lower control arm bushings were bad a long time ago, but they weren't making any noise so I left them alone until today. So those were original at 223k
Ford has the same problems. "lubed for life" without fittings. Once the boot seal is compromized, it's just a matter of time before failure. I have gone through the same problem with only 60k miles on my truck.

No it's 2wd, but it does have a cummins. The thing about the dodge is I think it's the same half ton truck frame on the 3/4 and 1 tons
Still a fair amount of weight-the engine is ~1200 pounds, plus transmission, etc. Like they say, an "A" engine in a "D-" truck! I had 2, an '02 2500 Cummins & an '06 3500 SRW Cummins, both 4X4, had to run 80 PSI in the FRONT tires to stop from wearing the edges-and they both had relatively sloppy steering before 100K, and annoying frame rust for the age of the trucks.

I use moog problem solver line. Lasts the same as oem. I'm sure moog is what they come with from the factory anyways. Not like they have that many different manufacturers if ball joints and such. I'm actually just paying for the labor. They're warranting all the moog parts except the bushings because those weren't replaced last time
Moog isn't what they used to be-I'm sure others will chime in. Not sure they're a lot better than "white box" Chineseum parts!

I had new tires and an alignment done on my 07 Ram 1500. Told me all the frontend parts were still good. Has no rattles or loose steering at 225K with the hemi. I love my Mopars.

All "domestic" trucks have their issues. We replace just as many steering/suspension parts on Ford & GM trucks as we do FCA. My '11 Ram 1500 just turned 178k and the only things I've replaced on it due to failure were the outer tie rod ends and one hub assy. I've replaced the shocks and struts on mileage. Some people just get luckier than others. I'm sure the way the trucks are used have a lot to do with it also.

Reactions: D60
Back