All Electric MACK Trash Truck

How many miles does a city bus actually rack up in a day's time? It's a brutal drive I'm sure, but, I'm wondering it it'd look bad. 100 miles in NYC is probably like an all day drive any place else.

Chicago's CTA is around 100 miles/day, not including the PACE bus systems that goes from the ~20-40 miles out into the city too.

Any different than when any other truck catches fire?

The battery pack can be a problem. I am sure they took that into design consideration. Tesla made efforts from batteries catching on fire but it
does happen. When it does it will burn it down to the frame. Of course any car will too once the fuel, tires and interior goes.

The battery pack can be a problem. I am sure they took that into design consideration. Tesla made efforts from batteries catching on fire but it
does happen. When it does it will burn it down to the frame. Of course any car will too once the fuel, tires and interior goes.
So the difference would be...?

Please extend on any issues of finding your personal range.

Sure, for those who don't watch haul trucks in the pit, they move hundreds of tons of ore per trip usually from the shovels to the crushers. ( that's important when taken in context with the carefully selected wording in those articles.

Loaded with gravity and an incline, there is enough mass and inertia to overcome the resistance while its generating power for regenerative braking.

Its a hybrid ( meaning an engine doing most of the work) and only on the "downhill" side for the EV. Doesn't take much power to go downhill other than braking.

The not spoken ( but inferred) desired takeaway is that an EV is doing the "work" but its not.

Okay :) Whatever personal rhymes may help to finally get used to all these Macks and family and Ginaf and BelAZ... having all sorts of "ranges" as if all e-mobility didn't have to fit into one establishment.

So the difference would be...?
Just need to educate people a dry chemical is a waste of time on an EV fire when the batteries light off. Seems to me you would have to treat it like a tire fire. Use lots of water or a lot of foam. I once put out a car fire, the fire coming out the gas fill. My small dry chemical put it out. If it was a EV and the fire was coming from its fuel (batteries) it would hot work. Besides you won't be able to fly with your EV.

One can complain about the press release... or one could go Mack themselves and see what numbers are available.

As for the complaint about payload and range, the reality of a vocational truck is that the payload and the range requirements are user specific. The manufacturer provides the cab and chassis, and rest of the truck is typically upfit to the customers requirements. If it meets the customers requirements, then nothing else matters. All of that, in this case, is dependent on how the end user intends to use the truck, where, and how.

To be blunt, if you look hard enough, the other "first user" of these trucks is Republic services, which is a huge private player in the refuse business.

These trucks that run within a fixed distance every day, with known capacity and frequency requirements, are the perfect target for these efforts if things are ever going to move this way... Once costs are established, operators will likely switch on their own... A perfect example here is nearly all the larger trash haulers here have switched to CNG. The trucks run their route and return to the base every day, and the costs of the fueling infrastructure make sense in this scenario...

electric garbage trucks wont solve the issue of released methane from landfills lol

How many miles does a city bus actually rack up in a day's time? It's a brutal drive I'm sure, but, I'm wondering it it'd look bad. 100 miles in NYC is probably like an all day drive any place else.
156 miles for BYD bus range, but we have invented bus with overhead wire a long time ago, they work for some routes and have been for decades.

I've seen diesel bus catch fire and burn half the rear end all the time, not due to collision typically.

Back