all 5w20 synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this sounds dumb. But I heard from someone on another thread that all 5w20 oils are synthetic blend. Is this true?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
I know this sounds dumb. But I heard from someone on another thread that all 5w20 oils are synthetic blend. Is this true?

I think what you might mean is that all 5W20 oils are synthetic blends. At least according to Al over at Pennzoil. Then there are synthetic 5W20 oils as well.

Chevron's base oil web site says that 5W-20 can be produced with a blend of their 5R Group II+ base oil and their 220R Group II base oil. No synthetic (including Group III) required.
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/gf4.aspx
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/baseoils/comp_med.aspx

Other oil blenders might find it cheaper to use a low cost (lower quality) imported Group III base oil plus a lower cost Group II base oil to get the final product at a lower cost to them than to buy or invest in the refinery to make Group II+ base oil.

I only buy conventional 5w20, and mix it 50:50 with synthetic 5w30.
Conventional 5w20 is already a highly superior oil. And like Ken2 says, the "semi synthetic" 5w20 is actually not as good as the conventional anyway.

I think the disagreements here have to do with the amount of synthetics in a conventional 5W-20. There may be some conventional oils with additive packages that contain small amounts of synthetic base stock, which are significantly less the amount of synthetic base stock in a synthetic blend oil.

There are 5W-20 oils listed under conventional oil, blend, and full synthetic from just about every mfg.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
There are 5W-20 oils listed under conventional oil, blend, and full synthetic from just about every mfg.

Perhaps some of the oils contain some amount of synthetic oil, but the manufacturer doesn't say it.

But what you said is correct.

Castrol makes a non-syn 5w20
Valvoline makes a non-syn 5w20
Pennzoil makes a non-syn 5w20
Quaker State makes a non-syn 5w20

Here is an old thread on 5w20 Dino oils.

So what is the verdict on 5w20 Dino oils rated SN GF-5 and SM GF-4?

IMO....not speaking scientifically, I feel that 5w20 Dino oils do contain synthetic oil to meet the specification for API and ILSAC for 5w20. It really could be a profit motive. Since it would not be profit driven if oil manufacturers said they contain synthetic. The oil companies would much rather have you buy the "Advertised Oil" as synthetic blend or full synthetic for a higher price and profit to the bottom line.

Does anyone agree....or disagree?

IF and i say IF conventional 5w20 is indeed a syn blend, then why dont they charge as such? that to me makes no sense what so ever

It makes sense to me. The price charge for synthetic blend is much higher and if they stated that 5w20 is a synthetic blend....What would happen to the sales of oils that are "Synthetic Blends"?

IMO....to meet the standards for SM and SN for "only" 5w20 Dino oils in GF-4 and GF-5, IMO they have to have added synthetic oil to the mix.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
It makes sense to me. The price charge for synthetic blend is much higher and if they stated that 5w20 is a synthetic blend....What would happen to the sales of oils that are "Synthetic Blends"?

exactly my point, but with a twist, NOBODY in the us is giving anything away, defeniately not petroleum products, and marketing is the key to sales in the us, so if it is indeed semisynthetic, it would be marketed as such, and more importantly priced as such, nobody is selling a ny strip for price of a T-bone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back