Alignment Guys - Question about Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they would touch caster angle. I don't even know if they could adjust it without a kit.

You would have NO STEERING Return IF YOU HAD 0 CASTER.

I do not believe the AFTER (actual) data

I'm not up on the 2015 250. Doe this have upper and lower control arm or a solid axle front end?

Last edited:
I have run into this a number of times at Mercedes dealers, a couple are just simply incapable of doing a proper alignment.

Have them take it in again, if they can't fix it you might have to just try another dealer.

Its a crying shame they had to mess with the factory alignment which IMHO is the best the vehicle will ever get. I won't align my new truck unless I see tire wear, hoping I can get 100k miles out of it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have run into this a number of times at Mercedes dealers, a couple are just simply incapable of doing a proper alignment. Have them take it in again, if they can't fix it you might have to just try another dealer.
I took it back in today and they re-aligned it and rebalanced the front tires. Though the traffic going home was too heavy for me to absolutely tell, I **think** they may have it this time. It tracks straight and the vibration seems to be gone. I did not receive the invoice for the work (I should tomorrow) so I do not know what the alignment numbers are yet. I only hope the third time is the charm...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Its a crying shame they had to mess with the factory alignment which IMHO is the best the vehicle will ever get. I won't align my new truck unless I see tire wear, hoping I can get 100k miles out of it.
I agree, but the alignment was so bad from the factory (due to the defective tie rod) that it destroyed the front tires in less than 3200 miles. My old FX4 had nearly 160K miles on the factory alignment so it can be done--if only they do it right from the factory.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't think they would touch caster angle. I don't even know if they could adjust it without a kit.
They had to have touched the caster because they changed the outer left tie-rod end. The caster measured 0.3 on the left side and 3.6 on the right side (this was from the first time they messed with it before changing the tie-rod). After the tie-rod replacement it had the values in my OP on this thread. TBT - I do not think they know what they are doing and since I have been back three times, if it is still not right (but it **seems** to be) I will go to another dealer.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I'm not up on the 2015 250. Doe this have upper and lower control arm or a solid axle front end?
It is a 4x4, but I would have to look under the front (which I plan to do again this weekend) and see what it looks like now that they have worked on it for the third time.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Why is getting a print out stupid and how is it a red flag? I'd be more concerned if a shop refused to give a print out because the alignment could be way out of spec and you wouldn't know it. Every shop I've been to for alignments have always given me print outs, and I've never had issues with the car afterward.

Because the guys who really know how to align cars have real old machines that aren't capable of printing out a printout. The guys I'm talking about could align your car more accurately with a tape measure than the guy at the tire shop with his new state of the art alignment machine.

I've always thought that someone in the shop of a similar weight to the owner should sit in the drivers seat as well. Last time I went in for an alignment the guy working the desk looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for that. Told me that's completely unnecessary. I didn't feel like arguing with him and I already had a lifetime guarantee for alignment so if it didn't come out right I'd just keep going back, Car still pulls to the right but I haven't noticed any weird tire wear so I guess I'll just live with it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Why is getting a print out stupid and how is it a red flag? I'd be more concerned if a shop refused to give a print out because the alignment could be way out of spec and you wouldn't know it. Every shop I've been to for alignments have always given me print outs, and I've never had issues with the car afterward.

Because the guys who really know how to align cars have real old machines that aren't capable of printing out a printout. The guys I'm talking about could align your car more accurately with a tape measure than the guy at the tire shop with his new state of the art alignment machine.
Maybe in 1960...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Maybe in 1960...

I took my car to a frame and wheel shop that has been is business for at least three generations and my car drives STRAIGHT. I can let go of the wheel and it'll drive straight for a whole city block before it eventually gets jostled off course from the bumps in the road. They gave me no printout and I didn't care. They got my steering wheel centered and got my car driving straight with no pull whatsoever. I'm a very satisfied customer and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to go to a stupid tire shop.

Maybe in 1960...
I took my car to a frame and wheel shop that has been is business for at least three generations and my car drives STRAIGHT. I can let go of the wheel and it'll drive straight for a whole city block before it eventually gets jostled off course from the bumps in the road. They gave me no printout and I didn't care. They got my steering wheel centered and got my car driving straight with no pull whatsoever. I'm a very satisfied customer and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to go to a stupid tire shop.
Sorry, but I am not buying that a tape measure is more accurate than a laser. I will agree that if the person running the machine does not know how to do so, then the alignment will not be right or if there are mechanical issues the alignment could also be off.

Sorry, but I am not buying that a tape measure is more accurate than a laser. I will agree that if the person running the machine does not know how to do so, then the alignment will not be right or if there are mechanical issues the alignment could also be off.

Well guess what ? The next time you start a thread asking for advice, guess who's not gonna reply ?
cool.gif

Well guess what ? The next time you start a thread asking for advice, guess who's not gonna reply ?
cool.gif

Not to be too much of a smartaleck, but what advice was that? To forego the warranty that comes with the truck and take it somewhere I have to pay? We can agree to disagree and still be civil...geez man.

Well...it seems like the old adage "the third time is the charm" applies. While I do not have the alignment numbers yet (the invoice was not ready because the work was completed after five), it seems like they finally managed to get it right. The steering wheel is straight, it tracks straight when driving, and the vibration in the front end is gone.

[sarcasm] Curiously enough, it drives like a new truck. [/sarcasm]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back