alignment after replacing ball joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after I replace my lower ball joints(thats all my 04' civic has is lower ball joints) on this coming Friday, should I have the car aligned? I have heard dont mess with aligning it, and good friend that does a lot of suspension work tell me to play it safe and get a alignment. thoughts?

Well, technically, assuming that the old and new ball joint are manufactured perfectly concentric, you would be good to go. I would change them, and if it doesn't pull to either side on a test drive, call it done.

-Rouphis

Thanks for the reply Rouphis, and I think my friend has good reasoning as he said that you have the whole thing apart, it would be safe insurance to align it. Dont know what I will do yet.

adam

I would just get it aligned. Check your tie rods and tie rod ends to see if they need to be replaced as well. If you replace all those parts at once then you only need one alignment. An alignment is much cheaper than a set of tires!

I was told by the Ford mechanic who replaced a lower ball joint in my Grand Marquis that it did not require re-alignment unless an upper was replaced. This advice may not apply to your car, so I would find a Honda mechanic you trust.

Last alignment was last spring(april) at friends alignment shop as older lady backed into front right of my car. I replaced the tie rod ends at that time, everything else was ok. I discovered the ball joint bad while checking tires and rotating tires while ago.

I would align it. Even if it doesn't pull, it could still wear your front tires unevenly. Then it could cost you a set of tires and an alignment.

Yeah, car doesnt and never pulled, drives good and straight, but I like the piece of mind in aligning it. Arent you supposed to align a vehicle if you replace struts also?

I ended getting the Duralast ball joints since the bozo's at AAP showed like 5 different listings of ball joints and none were in the actual store. Plus with my work discount, I got duralast ball joints for like 10$ a ball joint. Already have the press and import vehicle adapter set. Got tie rods also since mine are originals. They looked like they may have been replaced but I didnt see any zerk fittings. I have had great success with duralast parts at work and for my own vehicles and familys vehicles also.

Most ball joints are sealed these days and don't have the zerks on them. If you're planning on keeping the car for a while I'd return the Duralast parts if you haven't installed them yet and get ones made by Moog. They're generally the highest quality and longest lasting suspension parts you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back