akebono performance pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered a set of akebono asp815 performance pads and a set of wagner rotors for my max.

the pads are GG rated. cant wait to put them on.

your opinions or experience with akebono pads and wagner rotors are welcome. please post.

I've only had the Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic and Wagner Rotors on my wife's RX-300 and both are fine. No experience with the Akebono Performance.

My issue with performance pads in the past is, they don't stop well when cold. Though, I can't answer for the asp815's.

Does the liturature mention that the asp815 have good stopping from the get-go?

I, too, am a user of Akebono's Pro-ACT series of OE-equivalent ceramic pads, and have been very happy with the performance of them. I have the Pro-ACTs on the front of both of our vehicles now (just did the Honda this weekend), with OEM pads on the rear. When it comes time to do the rear brakes on either, I will use the Pro-ACTs.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've only had the Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic and Wagner Rotors on my wife's RX-300 and both are fine. No experience with the Akebono Performance.

My issue with performance pads in the past is, they don't stop well when cold. Though, I can't answer for the asp815's.

Does the liturature mention that the asp815 have good stopping from the get-go

this is what it states on the box

enhanced braking power
definitive control of noise,vibration and harshness
extends rotor life
exclusive clean wheel formulation
ideal for fleet vehicles

and i checked up online for reviews on them. they do not have to be brokin in so im gonna assume they will bite from the beginning. i'll find out once i put them on and ill let everyone know they performed in the little 3 mile test route i take.

Why go for the performance rather than Pro-Act? If the vehicle is only for use on the streets you might be better with Pro-Act.

Wagner has a few lines of brake parts. I think most rotors work fine, its the pads that matter.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why go for the performance rather than Pro-Act? If the vehicle is only for use on the streets you might be better with Pro-Act.

Wagner has a few lines of brake parts. I think most rotors work fine, its the pads that matter.
for a few bucks more i went with the performance pads. and i usually drive a bit faster than everyone else around me, so yeah.

Originally Posted By: sasha

for a few bucks more i went with the performance pads. and i usually drive a bit faster than everyone else around me, so yeah.

LOL:
laugh.gif
I'm not making fun!

That's still no reason for a performance pad! Though, please let us know how they work out for ya! Others will still like to know and may want to try'em for a bit more serious driving.
smile.gif

Will these be going on your Maxima or do you have something else not listed in you signature?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

LOL:
laugh.gif
I'm not making fun!

That's still no reason for a performance pad! Though, please let us know how they work out for ya! Others will still like to know and may want to try'em for a bit more serious driving.
smile.gif

Will these be going on your Maxima or do you have something else not listed in you signature?
they are for the maxima. once i get more $$$ ill get wagner rotors and akebono pads for the back. the sorento will get the same treatment since the rotors on the kia barely passed inspection.

i wanted to get slotted rotors but decided against. my friend got slotted rotors and hawk hp+ pads front and back on his 05 accord v6. the front pads did not last 18 months. on the rear the rotors and pads got replaced within 2 years. my current set up on the maxima are wearever rotors and wearever ceremic orange box. 3 years at 30k the pads are at 50%. the rotors are destroyed due to my fault.

p.s. if anybody needs brake pads advance auto parts is clearancing out the wearever ceramic pads orange box.

Last edited:
Several Counter Persons at AAP have told me on many occassions that the WearEver and Wagner Rotors are one and the same. IDK but, they also state that the major difference is warranty.

I'll check our local AAP to see if they have my applications for Ceramic pads that you mentioned(clearance). I haven't heard anything 'round here!

IMO, the best pad to run is the highest performance one that still stops well enough when cold. Extra braking power doesn't hurt as long as you still have good modulation and the extra heat capacity doesn't hurt either. Few things are worse than faded pads.

I'm running the Hawk Superduty pads up front and HPS in the back on the Jeep. It's the first one of these Grand Cherokees I've driven that actually has enough braking power and where I can't fade the brakes in 5 minutes or less. The brakes are a little weak if they're stone cold in the winter, but if you need them, once you stand on the pedal, they'll warm up a bit and bite hard within the first second. The only real tradeoffs are short rotor life (I wore out a set of front rotors before I wore out a set of pads) and the front brakes dust like a Euro car.

Last edited:
and i usually drive a bit faster than everyone else around me.

Thats the issue.

i have little choice when its rush hour. 50% of drivers in philadelphia or surrounding counties are d-bags and a-holes. 5% drive under the limit.

this is the clearance pad

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/buy/pro...pads-shoes.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I've got Pro-ACTs on the fronts and Hawk HPS on the rear of my WRX. No complaints.

The mixture was what the shop could get one day.

Yeah, I guess you had no choice, but I would think that the pad brands/models would be more ideal if they were switched front to back (i.e.; HPS on front, Pro-ACTs on back).
wink.gif

they do not have to be brokin in so im gonna assume they will bite from the beginning.

They WILL bite from the beginning without a doubt. Had mine for ~2 years / 25k (various driving styles) on them and they still have about 5mm of pad. I should also mention that they are on the front too, so give them a big fat thumbs up. Be good to them for about the first tank of gas and let them become friends with the rotors... too much stress from the get-go is not always a good thing. I have mine with slotted EBC ultimaxx rotors and couldn't ask for better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back