Airing Up Tires for Off Pavement Use

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
As an alternative to an onboard compressor, would it be possible to use a tank of pressurized air instead? I recognize that its usefulness would be limited, but it could be handy in some situations. Any thoughts or experiences?

As an alternative to an onboard compressor, would it be possible to use a tank of pressurized air instead? I recognize that its usefulness would be limited, but it could be handy in some situations. Any thoughts or experiences?

Been around a while.

The tiny high compression tanks are awesome.

Ive been with groups that used them mostly for re-inflating after an air down.

The standard package you need are a set of staun tire deflators you screw on that bleed down to a adjustable number, and a device called a quad flate.

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 11.51.40 AM.jpg

Thanks, guys. Some very helpful info here.

First step is understanding if you need to air down - I have driven past a few doing that without the need …

Power Tank

10lb CO2 tank pressurized to 800+ psi., which is enough to raise pressure 20psi on 14 37" tires. It'll run air tools too.

Costs about $50 to refill at most any soft drink and bar servicer or gas/welding supply shop.

Plenty of guys carry PowerTanks or DIY versions. It's CO2

If you can install a York that really is the way to go. Engine driven, fast, infinite supply, VERY inexpensive compared to most alternatives. The downside is elbow grease and fab work to get it installed and it's not transferable from one vehicle to the next.

In all my years of 'wheeling I still swear by just pulling the valve cores one at a time. Works great. I do carry extra cores in case I drop one in the dirt, but that's never happened....although I tend to be well-coordinated and not clumsy

First step is understanding if you need to air down - I have driven past a few doing that without the need …
Depends on distance and terrain. I'll often air down at the start of a long dirt road to get to the trail because it really helps ride quality if the road isn't regularly maintained.

If you’ll be doing this consistently I recommend just buying a Viair 88p… They’re not expensive
That looks very nice. Size, portability, price all seem quite workable.

How fast can it put 15lbs into a 31" or 32" tire? I'll have to read some info about it. Thanks!

OK, I checked, definitely workable.

Last edited:
Plenty of guys carry PowerTanks or DIY versions. It's CO2

If you can install a York that really is the way to go. Engine driven, fast, infinite supply, VERY inexpensive compared to most alternatives. The downside is elbow grease and fab work to get it installed and it's not transferable from one vehicle to the next.

In all my years of 'wheeling I still swear by just pulling the valve cores one at a time. Works great. I do carry extra cores in case I drop one in the dirt, but that's never happened....although I tend to be well-coordinated and not clumsy
I don't want permanent installation for the situations I'm thinking about. Good idea for future possibilities ...

That looks very nice. Size, portability, price all seem quite workable.

How fast can it put 15lbs into a 31" or 32" tire? I'll have to read some info about it. Thanks!

OK, I checked, definitely workable.

We had 34x11.50’s and it would air all four from 16-30 psi in about 15-18 minutes.

How long have you had this? How is its durability and reliability? Do you use it frequently? Thanks!

From 2014-2017 or so we used it a lot. 20-30 times a year probably. Less recently but still probably five times or so per year. The thing still feels new. Even the rubber hose is still nice and soft.

My only complaint is that it does get hot. Need to make sure to only grab the handle after it has been running for a while. But it is a well built unit.

From 2014-2017 or so we used it a lot. 20-30 times a year probably. Less recently but still probably five times or so per year. The thing still feels new. Even the rubber hose is still nice and soft.

My only complaint is that it does get hot. Need to make sure to only grab the handle after it has been running for a while. But it is a well built unit.
Thanks again. I can see using this for my Camry as well. I often run lower pressure in town due to the terrible condition of our streets, and I like to increase the pressure for longer andhigher speed highway trips.

Back