Airing Up Tires for Off Pavement Use

Thanks again. I can see using this for my Camry as well. I often run lower pressure in town due to the terrible condition of our streets, and I like to increase the pressure for longer andhigher speed highway trips.
Might need some beadlocks on that Camry 😳

ViaAir makes very good compressors. I’ve bought one each for my kids and they are best I’ve ever seen for portable units. I especially appreciate the battery clamp models which do more work than the cigarette lighter models. Good stuff.

something like this, using the batteries your other or future battery tools use...

20V-Cordless-Air-Compressor-&-Pump-A.jpg

something like this, using the batteries your other or future battery tools use...

20V-Cordless-Air-Compressor-&-Pump-A.jpg
Thanks for your suggestion. I don't want a battery-operated unit but rather one that operates directly from the vehicle battery.

I use one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html with a 7 port 1/4 NPT manifold to fill up and deflate tires on my jeep. It doesn't see too much use now that the jeep is a trailer rig , the tires stay deflated all the time.

It works great for 4 285/75-16 tires from 13 to 28 PSI.

The 7 port manifold has 4 air lines with clip on chucks , an air pressure gauge , ball valve to deflate and a Schrader valve to inflate.

As I learned before, don't use one that runs off of the cigarette lighter. That leads to the plug melting inside the vehicle

Another vote for the Viair inflator. High quality and the included rubber hose will last a lot longer than the coiled PVC hoses found on some, which seem fine but then one day you go to use it and it cracks apart in several places. Those hoses will last longer if kept away from light, but are still an early failure point.

I use one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html with a 7 port 1/4 NPT manifold to fill up and deflate tires on my jeep. It doesn't see too much use now that the jeep is a trailer rig , the tires stay deflated all the time.

It works great for 4 285/75-16 tires from 13 to 28 PSI.

The 7 port manifold has 4 air lines with clip on chucks , an air pressure gauge , ball valve to deflate and a Schrader valve to inflate.

As I learned before, don't use one that runs off of the cigarette lighter. That leads to the plug melting inside the vehicle
Thanks for that link. The setup looks good, certainly of the type that I'm seeking. I like the fact that there's an inline pressure gauge attached to the filling hose. It would be nice it works well for me. As it happens, HF recently opened a store directly across the avenue from me, and the unit is in stock there. In the next day or two I'll take a look at it.

Yes, I learned about not using the "cigarette" lighter socket.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Viair inflator. High quality and the included rubber hose will last a lot longer than the coiled PVC hoses found on some, which seem fine but then one day you go to use it and it cracks apart in several places. Those hoses will last longer if kept away from light, but are still an early failure point.
The Viair right now is at the top of my list. Hadn't thought about the hose material, so I really appreciate your mentioning it. (y)

Thanks for that link. The setup looks good, certainly of the type that I'm seeking. I like the fact that there's an inline pressure gauge attached to the filling hose. It would be nice it works well for me. As it happens, HF recently opened a store directly across the avenue from me, and the unit is in stock there. In the next day or two I'll take a look at it.

Yes, I learned about not using the "cigarette" lighter socket.
That poor compressor has been through a lot. It's a 6 / 5 stars items. More than once it's inflated 2 or 3 sets of tires in a row!

Just drop a few drops of any oil in it

Thanks again. I can see using this for my Camry as well. I often run lower pressure in town due to the terrible condition of our streets, and I like to increase the pressure for longer andhigher speed highway trips.
Just buy an air compressor and keep it in your garage. I really hope you're not deflating your tires, then adding air, then deflating them that often.

Back