airbag light

My Fiesta has an airbag warning light that comes on the dash. It only happens when you begin to pull on the passenger side seat belt. Doesn't matter if someone is sitting in the seat or the belt is yet plugged in. I've tried checking the under seat connections. It seems like this started after we moved the passenger seat up for the first time in a while.

Yes, I had the codes read at the car parts store with their latest scanner and I said B00A0-68. I've searched the internet and not found this to be insightful.

Are these enough clues for someone to point me in the direction of a fix?

It says that it's a problem with the occupant classification system, ie: the thing that senses whether you have a passenger in the seat or not.

Check the wiring underneath the seat and see if you find anything that might be a clue to this being a problem. It sounds like when you pull on the seat belt that it jiggles the seat just enough to fix/cause the issue. Check your seat wiring for the airbag sensor and you will likely find your problem.

It is not uncommon for even "in the car interior" plugs to become corroded. I would unplug the connections under the seat and remove the seat from the vehicle for closer inspection. This will also provide you a good view of the plugs on both the seat and ones under the seat. Clean the plug and sockets as best you can. I use contact cleaner for this purpose. Then reassemble the plugs using some dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion.

It says that it's a problem with the occupant classification system, ie: the thing that senses whether you have a passenger in the seat or not.

Check the wiring underneath the seat and see if you find anything that might be a clue to this being a problem. It sounds like when you pull on the seat belt that it jiggles the seat just enough to fix/cause the issue. Check your seat wiring for the airbag sensor and you will likely find your problem.
I don't think it's a matter of jiggling the seat as it would come on due to general jiggling by other causes. It's clearly due to pull on the belt, causing one of the sensors to send a signal that causes a computer module to complain that it can't tell if an adult is sitting in the seat.

You could be right that it is bad wire or connection (but I haven't found it so far) or it could be a sensor somewhere. Earlier this year I spent a large sum getting the body control module replaced. I'd prefer not to throw more large amounts on this nuisance.

Is it because of body type? Airbag on/off light? My wife, 5'-8.5" 121 lbs, long legged, has thigh gap, is skinny, would sometimes fool the airbag seat sensor thinking she was lighter than she was. She'd recline the seat and position her butt in such a way.

IMG_0227.jpeg

Is it because of body type? Airbag on/off light? My wife, 5'-8.5" 121 lbs, long legged, has thigh gap, is skinny, would sometimes fool the airbag seat sensor thinking she was lighter than she was. She'd recline the seat and position her butt in such a way.

View attachment 115533
Doesn't matter if a body is in the seat or not. Just pulling the seat belt does it.

Back