Air handler leaking water after shutdown?

This thing ran most of the summer and I didn't notice any water in the secondary drain pan. This is a 5 ton Goodman horizontal air handler heatpump system. I put my air hose in it and blew compressed air where the trap is and then filled the trap up with water from a water bottle. When I did that more water started draining out the bottom of the air handler in about 3 places. Makes me wonder of there is a clog inside the air handler vs down stream. Is it also possible if that trap dries out I'll have this problem? It's cooler now so the system cycles aren't as long and it doesn't seems to be draining water out into the secondary pan for 10 seconds or so after shutdown. This is my workshop so I'll just turn the ac off if I'm not working in there, so it could be off for a week or so. It will run for an entire 4-5 hours to get it from 89 degrees to 77 or so.

There is actually a little lip in the bottom in each place where it drains out so its like they designed it that way.

If the drain is clear from the p trap out then you have a plug from the trap to the drain pan. The reason it only drains after the unit shuts off is because the negative pressure in the cabinet is holding the water back. The secondary drain will have a lip inside to only allow water out when it reaches about that lip. This is to keep the water running out the primary drain.

I have used a shop vac to clear out the drain piping on my setup, and it's also part of the "maintenance service" when I had one. I connect the vacuum to the outside drain connection, and pour a bit of water into the line for a good flush. Mine is easy to get to however, and was installed to help facilitate this kind of cleaning.
Down here, there is a HIGH probability of mold growth inside the pipes and traps. It is recommended that about a cupful of CLOROX be poured into the drain each month or so to control that growth.

Since the air handler has trap on the drain line it's a draw though coil. When coils get dirty or a film on the surface the condensate is supposed to follow the fins down into the pan but don't and drip off the surface. Mix up little dish soap and water in a spray bottle spray coil surfaces heavily. Then with straight water. Might have to do it again if theres a layer of dirt.

Since the air handler has trap on the drain line it's a draw though coil. When coils get dirty or a film on the surface the condensate is supposed to follow the fins down into the pan but don't and drip off the surface. Mix up little dish soap and water in a spray bottle spray coil surfaces heavily. Then with straight water. Might have to do it again if theres a layer of dirt.
Th system is only like 10 months old. You think the coil is dirty already?

can't I just pull the filter out temporarily and take a look at what's going on when it's running? The evaporator is right there when you pull the filter.

They sell tablets to put into condensate drains & pumps to clean out the slime.

I think the service contract I have covers cleaning the condensate drains.

I am told if you want to be able to get same day repair then a service contract is the best way forward.

Why did they tape up the access panel seams? I wanted to pull the panel off and see if the internal pan is clogged and throw those tablets inside. They want to make sure nobody touches it under warranty.

It takes like a good 10hrs of running for it to start leaking into the secondary pan. I bet it's just clogged.

I'll just have the ac guys come back out and look at it. The pa. Shows where it's been leaking

Back