Air filter over 100k? Ok time to change it :)

The air filter on my F250 had over 100k on it. Filter minder was still in the green but I decided to change it anyway :)

PXL_20220704_162516867.jpg

PXL_20220704_162655617.jpg

PXL_20220704_162521022.jpg

PXL_20220704_162607221.jpg

PXL_20220704_162617777.jpg

In the last photo, the inlet seems to be at the bottom right of the airbox. What's with the other hole covered by foam?

In the last photo, the inlet seems to be at the bottom right of the airbox. What's with the other hole covered by foam?
It's just another air inlet. Of the 2 its the only one with a prefilter (the foam). Not sure the reasoning behind it because that will be hot engine air but I am sure Ford had a reason.

Man you sure got your money's worth!
Indeed I did :)

The ones in the 6.7L trucks at my work pull the restriction guage down by 10 k
That sucks :p Do you work in dusty environments? All the super duty's I have owned have been reasonably good with the air filters. I have only had 3 if I remember right you manage a lot more.

A full throttle run to redline might have changed that.
I'll try and remember to quit just letting the truck sit and idle and actually use it. :rolleyes: Sarcasm aside, this truck gets used constantly and often tows heavy so it gets plenty of throttle. I'm not easy on it, just shy of abuse ;)

Honestly the filter was not in bad shape considering the milage. Except for the foam pre filter I think I could have used the air compressor on it and gotten a few more miles LOL

Yep. I posted about my CAF having 102k on it....blech going 100k on an air filter.

[QUOTE="I Yep. I posted about my CAF having 102k on it....blech going 100k on an air filter.
[/QUOTE]
Why? My UOA's never showed excessive dirt and my filter minder never went into the red. Personally I think people change their filters to often

Why? My UOA's never showed excessive dirt and my filter minder never went into the red. Personally I think people change their filters to often
I mean, they're your vehicles but meh. I also don't adhere to the manufacturers' OCI or maintenance reminders on things like mileage either though. There's a huge difference in "changing it too often" at like every 10-15k and thinking people are changing it too often and going 100k on it. In the Midwest, there's no way in heck we could go 100k on an air filter. Must be that clean air in TN. ;)

[QUOTE="I I mean, they're your vehicles but meh. I also don't adhere to the manufacturers' OCI or maintenance reminders on things like mileage either though. There's a huge difference in "changing it too often" at like every 10-15k and thinking people are changing it too often and going 100k on it. In the Midwest, there's no way in heck we could go 100k on an air filter. Must be that clean air in TN. ;)
[/QUOTE]
got 90% of that mileage in Floriduh but local conditions will make a difference for sure. I change my other vehicles as needed, my truck is the only one to go that far. Partly because I forgot, I purchased the filter months ago and moved to TN during that time. I just found the filter in a moving box and realized it had not been done. Honestly I do about 60k a filter or less if needed. I would have taken action if the uoa started showing dirt though, or the filter minder went yellow/red

I There's a huge difference in "changing it too often" at like every 10-15k and thinking people are changing it too often and going 100k on it. [/QUOTE] In either case you're guessing without a way to measure. My last interval was in the middle: [URL unfurl="true said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/filter-change-by-minder-at-42k-miles.280615/[/URL]

It's just another air inlet. Of the 2 its the only one with a prefilter (the foam). Not sure the reasoning behind it because that will be hot engine air but I am sure Ford had a reason.
Looks more like a way to block that hole in the corner of the airbox. Maybe they don't want any engine bay air to come into the airbox - ??.

Why? My UOA's never showed excessive dirt and my filter minder never went into the red. Personally I think people change their filters to often. ...
That's true of most people who don't frequent dusty areas. In choosing their recommended filter replacement intervals, vehicle manufacturers have to assume near-worst-case conditions. Not the worst, but maybe 95th-percentile worst. Everybody else can safely go farther.

Air filters last a long time for me. I'd have to replace them more often if I still lived on a gravel road, or in the dusty part of Iowa I briefly visited 5 years ago, or in Chris 142's desert.

Back