air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a real pos Ingersol Rand compressor, SS5 I've owned it for 5 years since it was new. After one year the company replaced the whole pump assy. because it would not develop pressure above 110 psi. ( blown head gasket ) Now it has another blown head gasket on the replaced pump. I find this unit has more 1 star reviews than 5 star reviews on Amazon. The question I have is I want to replace the head gasket with a hand made brass or copper. Is it feasible? The spacing between the cylinders is only about an 1/8" and that's where it fails. The original gasket is made out of a graphite type of material. This unit is in my basement so it is in a constant temperature. I have not used it for any serious type of work as of yet. If it runs a couple of times a week it's doing something. I feel I've gotten screwed on purchased. Anyway I digress. Will the homemade gasket work?

Give it a shot. What do you have to lose? In just a while you'll then be an expert and can tell us how it's done.

Seriously, just find some material about the same thickness, copper, brass or soft aluminum and have at it. Make sure the mating surfaces are absolutely shiny clean. Don't use any sealer and be a good craftsman, get the fit right.

If I made a head gasket for a Everude 20 outboard with layers of aluminum foil and paint you should be able to make a gasket for a air compressor.
Good luck

Originally Posted By: bioburner
If I made a head gasket for a Everude 20 outboard with layers of aluminum foil and paint you should be able to make a gasket for a air compressor.
Good luck

Got any pictures? and how did you come up with this solution?

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Good luck

Impressive! Most impressive!

One thing I see is the hardness of the brass. I've been looking but don't know what I should use for the gasket One of the sites I found had a Rockwell hardness of 55-65. I don't know if that is soft, hard or what?

Pretty much as I said. layered up foil and used the aluminum paint between layers. Cut out the gasket using the old one as template. Torqued in and ran for hour and torqued again. Was just north of Puerto Vallarta Mexico and was not due home for another month and half. Late 70's. Campground had some very interesting smart people.

Last edited:
I would keep pushing it to see if they have an updated head gasket.

However most 5hp compressors would be two cylinder or two stage. This must have one huge cylinder.

Sounds like someone was just cheap when they designed the pump and not giving adequate space between cylinders for a lighter cheap casting

Originally Posted By: dirtymudder
One thing I see is the hardness of the brass. I've been looking but don't know what I should use for the gasket One of the sites I found had a Rockwell hardness of 55-65. I don't know if that is soft, hard or what?

You don't want brass. You want copper. We used solid copper head gaskets with "O rings" for 7 sec turbocharged 4 cyl Funny Bikes running 28-32 lbs of boost on 105 Octane racing gas.
To make the copper gasket soft enough to seal properly it must be annealed. To do that...heat the gasket with a torch until it just begins to turn red. Then drop in a 5 gal bucket of water. The gasket will come out dead soft. Then clean the surface in a blast cabinet using walnut shells preferably...but glass beads will work if you clean it well afterwards. Then clean with acetone and apply a THIN coat on both sides of a white RTV called ThreeBond....sold at many Japaneses motorcycle shops.

Copper gaskets are very effective and can be reused multiple times.... as long as you go through the annealing process before reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back