Air compressor storage question.

I have a large upright garage air compressor that I use infrequently. I am curious as to how you guys store your compressors under once in awhile conditions. Do you let her run to say 100 PSI then turn her off and/or close the main air line on the tank when not in use. Then just turn her on when running a tool or filling something up?

I have a large upright garage air compressor that I use infrequently. I am curious as to how you guys store your compressors under once in awhile conditions. Do you let her run to say 100 PSI then turn her off and/or close the main air line on the tank when not in use. Then just turn her on when running a tool or filling something up?
I have never given my compressors special treatment. I have a 120 gallon Champion in my garage that I close the tank valve on. I have leaky hard pipes and I don't want it to kick on at all hours of the night. It always has 150psi in it, ready to go.

drain the air if its going to be more than a few days.. kick off the breaker.

If I go away from home for more than a day or two, I'll turn off the power. In case a hose bursts, I don't want the compressor running continuously for days until I get back. Otherwise, I just leave it the way it is even if I won't use it for a week or two, but then, mine is a 60 gallon tank that would take 15-20 minutes to fill from empty.

I have a 2 stage 45 gallon compressor that I leave empty. I installed a ball valve on the bottom to drain water. I turn it on when needed and when I’m done I let the air out. No need to store pressurized air IMO.

Just my $0.02

If I go away from home for more than a day or two, I'll turn off the power. In case a hose bursts, I don't want the compressor running continuously for days until I get back. Otherwise, I just leave it the way it is even if I won't use it for a week or two, but then, mine is a 60 gallon tank that would take 15-20 minutes to fill from empty.
sounds broken a 11cfm compressor will pressurize a 60gal tank to 150psi in ~7-8min.

I have a similar size compressor and it started taking a long time to charge the tank and I found the copper line from the compressor to the tank was cracked at the ferrule and only when running could you tell where the leak was from there is some kind of one way valve at the tank fitting.

I have a smaller 10 gallon, but I just shut the air valve off when not using to prevent air leaking from the hose.
I am with others, when I need air, I usually need it now, not a few minutes.

One place I worked had a 150 gallon compressor that was used maybe a few times a day.
Every day the valve was shut off at the end of the day and if used the next day just opened and left open for the day.
Friday afternoon the breaker was shut off and the ball-valve on the bottom was opened to drain any moisture.
If you needed air Monday morning it did take a few minutes to pressure up, but not a huge deal.

Back