AGM Size 34 Battery Maintainer

With the now almost a year old pandemic still afflicting the country, we are driving less than ten miles every ten or so days to pickup groceries at Walmart and an occasional doctor appointment. This has slowly discharge the AGM battery, and I noticed the engine cranked a little slower before starting this week.. Can anyone recommend a battery maintainer for an AGM size 34 battery? Nothing too fancy with all the bells and whistles. I'm looking at a NORCO but also see several other makes. Regards to all BITOG forum members.

My neighbor bought this one last fall. Says it works great and has not been disappointed. Since Sears has gone by the wayside, I think Harbor Freight saw the opportunity to capture many of those previous Sears customers by upgrading several of their tool and accessory categories. I think this is just one example of those upgrades. This one also specifically states that is good to go with AGM batteries.

With the now almost a year old pandemic still afflicting the country, we are driving less than ten miles every ten or so days to pickup groceries at Walmart and an occasional doctor appointment. This has slowly discharge the AGM battery, and I noticed the engine cranked a little slower before starting this week.. Can anyone recommend a battery maintainer for an AGM size 34 battery? Nothing too fancy with all the bells and whistles. I'm looking at a NORCO but also see several other makes. Regards to all BITOG forum members.

Between Noco, Ctek, and optimate, schumacher, battery minder, vectron /black and decker,

I continue to like/prefer the Optimate.

Cteks a solid second, Noco and Battery Minder tied for 3rd,

schumachers are a crapshoot with some good and some very bad.

The vectron/black and deckers have fan failures and sketchy logic.

My neighbor bought this one last fall. Says it works great and has not been disappointed. Since Sears has gone by the wayside, I think Harbor Freight saw the opportunity to capture many of those previous Sears customers by upgrading several of their tool and accessory categories. I think this is just one example of those upgrades. This one also specifically states that is good to go with AGM batteries.

Its good to for for AGM batteries EXCEPT that it does not have a 14.7V mode I can see if so it will only charge most AGM's 93.6% of full.

unless they mean winter storage mode gives you 14.7?

You wont cook it for sure but that charger will not charge it fully either.

Last edited:
Its good to for for AGM batteries EXCEPT that it does not have a 14.7V mode I can see if so it will only charge most AGM's 93.6% of full.

unless they mean winter storage mode gives you 14.7?

You wont cook it for sure but that charger will not charge it fully either.

I don't know the specific voltage, but this charger does have a dedicated AGM mode along with 12v standard mode. I have 4 of them 2 stay on boat batteries 24/7 one on the tractor and one for whatever else I need a charger for. I've used them for the AGM battery on my ATV and they are my go to charger.

I don't know the specific voltage, but this charger does have a dedicated AGM mode along with 12v standard mode. I have 4 of them 2 stay on boat batteries 24/7 one on the tractor and one for whatever else I need a charger for. I've used them for the AGM battery on my ATV and they are my go to charger.
Interesting the ad didnt say AGM mode, it said winter mode.

Im also wary of all automatics that dont specify an upper and lower charge range in terms of AH.

Interesting the ad didnt say AGM mode, it said winter mode.

Looks like it has both, AGM and winter modes.

1612035771275.png

I've said it in a similar thread not to long ago, but I'm sold on the value of one of the better brand names rather than store brand when it comes to automatic/smart chargers. A couple (one charger, one maintainer) I've bought from Canadian Tire have boiled lead acid batteries for an extended period of time and shown no sign of reaching the end of that stage. I can understand that a charger might do that briefly during the cycle, but a 2A maintainer shouldn't, especially in the absence of a de-sulfation or similar mode.

I just bought a NOCO Genius 10, and have been throwing it on my vehicles (all three of which have AGM batteries) every couple of weeks. It seems to run through its programming in a predictable manner, which leads to me trust it.

Of course all of this is just general observation, with no instrument-based testing to support it.

Thank you to all members who responded. Shadows are getting long in Columbus,NE ,and it's time for Hosteen to shut la machina down and put on Chief Cat Box Attendant hat. Five-Star Premier Cat Box Service(Catering only to the sophisticated cat) whatever that means.

Back