AGM failure, not your typical failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears to have imploded, warped, compacted or looks like it's sucking it's breath in but I've never seen this happen to a car battery:

IpsrpfM.jpg

kqnOPQo.jpg

hftnLhz.jpg

Battery was able to start the truck up until now. Threw it on a battery charger and it won't charge up above 12v. It's hovering around 11.89v so how did this battery fail? The battery is 2 years old bought at O'Reilly. Lost receipt so how should I deal with the counter monkeys for warranty exchange?

If there is a date of manufacture stamped on there, that might work. It's worked for me and Interstate before. Good luck.

Looks like the battery generated excessive gas but not enough to pop the vents open. This can happen if the battery is being overcharged. It can also happen if one or more cells go bad, as this can cause the others could be overcharged even in a properly functioning electrical system.

I haven't ever seen this with a car battery, but it happens quite frequently on the small AGM batteries used in computer uninterruptible power supply systems, security alarm backup batteries, etc.

I would check out the charging system after you replace it.

Is that an exide?

Looks like I can continue to "hate" on them
13.gif

Looks like it was getting very hot to me. The sticker should hopefully get you a warranty unless you picked an old one off the shelf when you bought it.

O'Reilly uses the phone number system like autozone, give them the phone number used when you purchased it and your good to go.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Is that an exide?

13.gif

I think it is East Penn.

you say it's only 2 years old, but that date code(M1 Sticker) Looks to be Dec.2011
(m=12, since they don't use I to ease confusion with 1; 1=2011,most recent year ending in 1, in the current 0-9 cycle)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Originally Posted By: Rand

Is that an exide?

13.gif

I think it is East Penn.

Correct.

Now I'm second guessing myself on the date code. Think I might have had it backwards, but that would still only be jan, 2012... So only a month off from first Reading.

Originally Posted By: jim302
I haven't ever seen this with a car battery, but it happens quite frequently on the small AGM batteries used in computer uninterruptible power supply systems, security alarm backup batteries, etc.

Ditto. I have seen this on alarm system batteries with a bad cell. Usually these batteries are also quite warm.

shorted a cell which caused thermal runaway.got real hot,vented,and started pulling a vacuum as it cooled.it looks sucked in/imploded because it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
it has a date code that should be enough

LOL! Really??

How do they know he didnt steal it or buy the vehicle with that battery already installed?(most battery warranties aren't transferrable). Warranty is from original purchase date. That battery may have been oringinally purchased 7 years ago and was simply warrantied out in 2011. These are all hypothetical situations, of course

Phone number or receipt for proof of purchase is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back