Age discrimination OK.... but only some of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly hope his parents, after such an admission, faced civil charges from the families of the slain people....

Might not be able to go after them criminally, but civil is another matter.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

The Pinnacle of this problem was the Ethan Couch case, where a minor who slaughtered 4 human beings in one go never faced a day in jail. He was literally (I can't stress this enough) let off from jail time because his parents testified that they spoiled him and did such a poor job of parenting that he didn't know right from wrong. Violating his probation by doing more underage drinking and going on the run as a fugitive still didn't get him a stiff sentence.

Originally Posted by javacontour
I certainly hope his parents, after such an admission, faced civil charges from the families of the slain people....

Might not be able to go after them criminally, but civil is another matter.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

The Pinnacle of this problem was the Ethan Couch case, where a minor who slaughtered 4 human beings in one go never faced a day in jail. He was literally (I can't stress this enough) let off from jail time because his parents testified that they spoiled him and did such a poor job of parenting that he didn't know right from wrong. Violating his probation by doing more underage drinking and going on the run as a fugitive still didn't get him a stiff sentence.

His parents must have been really rich, they all settled out of court.

I am told the settlement was generous (for a settlement of that type), but I can only imagine what they must be going through knowing this kid literally could not give a rat's behind after all of this.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Have you ever tried to rationally explain to a young person why ...
- they can abort a fetus, but cannot buy a gun?
- they can marry another, but cannot drink champagne at their ceremony?
- they can die for their country, but cannot possess a cigar to celebrate their high-school graduation? (if they chose to finish school in the first place)

Why are we, as a society, so freaking full of hypocrisy in our approach to these topics?

Society is just nuts, I guess.
wink.gif
That's how we have to process it. The Canadian military still accepts, as far as I know, 17 year olds for training with parental permission. When I was in high school, the age for smoking was 16. When I was in early high school and younger, a kid of any age could easily buy cigarettes. When I was 12 to around 14, my cousin lived with us and routinely sent me to the store for his cigarettes. I had no problem buying them, and he let me buy a Mars bar out of the change, so it was worth the trip!

I just saw this article this morning ...
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...imum-voting-age-16-years-old/2877058002/
This may or may not make a real effect at the federal level, but it certainly would have effect at the state/local level, if passed (admittedly unlikely).

So some in Oregon want to include 16 year old kids to be able to vote? Hmmmmmm .... Isn't that the same state that wants to take away their right to buy a gun until 21, and not smoke until 21?

If they are smart enough to do one, they should be smart enough to do all.
If they cannot be trusted to make important decisions about their own health and life choices, then why should we trust them to affect other people's lives via the voting booth?

Ahhhhhhhh ..... the hypocrisy of life .....

Again - I'm encouraging input but NOT politics. This can be discussed rationally if we temper our tune.

Where is the rationale in allowing a 16 year old to vote, but not drink, or smoke, or buy a gun, or get married, or get a tatoo?
At what point do we draw the line for age?
I personally don't care where the line is drawn, as long as it's drawn with clarity and equality.
If they are smart enough to do one thing, they should be trusted to do all things.
Or not at all.

Sometimes I just don't get the extreme dichotomy of thought we have as a society.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back