Aftermarket Wet Sump Oil Pump Preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had good luck over the years with Schumann and Melling. Loving the billet Sharktooth pumps. What's your choice for pump on a wet sump high performance engine?

My go to has been Melling for years. Need more information on the application, since you mentioned the Shark Tooth pump I'm guessing SBC?

Street, drag, street and drag, track only, main and rod bearing clearance?

Melling stock replacement pumps aren't honed to size anymore in the pump gear cavity. That stopped around 2005 to save money. The Melling select lineup are great pumps for just about everything short of a full blown race application (outside of SBC and BBC applications where full blown billet race pumps are available).

Outside common domestic applications I'm sure there are niche pumps that are wonderful, but I don't work on that stuff so I can't make any recommendations.

Was just asking to see what everyone runs. Wasn't looking to fill any specific application. Good info on the standard Melling pumps. Didn't know they have knocked down the quality there.

We've done quite a few SBCs with the shark tooth. Since marine engines constantly live at the higher rpm range, it's good to have a pump that's so efficient up there.

My mistake in thinking you were looking for a recommendation.

In Melling if you can afford it, buy from the Select line for those not familiar.

I've had excellent luck with their billet SBC and BBC pumps in race marine and drag race applications.

Melling 55A was my go-to for SBC engine builds back in the day, with the white oil pressure relief spring for added pressure. Standard volume, slightly more pressure w/ this spring, and weld the pickup tube on after setting it 3/8" from the oil pan floor with gasket in place. These were for boat applications turning 4K RPMs and up all day long, zero engine failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back