Aftermarket tires not same as OE, correct?

I'm pretty sure that I've read on here that aftermarket tires are not held to the same standard as the tires that come with the car. In other words if my new Santa Fe came with Continental XYZ tires and if I want to replace them later on with the same thing, those aftermarket Continental XYZ tires might look the same and have the same specifications, but would not be built to the same standard as the tires that came on the car. Correct? If that is so, my question is would that also apply to buying the same tire from the Hyundai dealer? I would guess that the Continental XYZ sold at the dealer would probably be the same as the tire I would get from Tire Rack or any other tire dealer. Am I correct that a replacement tire gotten from a new car dealership would not be up to the same standard as the tire that was delivered on the car?

I don't need tires yet, buy wondering if there was any advantage to buying from the dealership when the time comes.

Thanks

Depends entirely on the tire. The replacements for my F150 are identical from the aftermarket as they came from the factory down to the product number. Ditto for the replacements for my Explorer. I have had other vehicles that had a different tire tread than the aftermarket version of the same tire - but they had different identifying numbers, but shared the same "name".

This is the great mystery of the universe. There are manufacturers that make tires for OEM that many times are called the same as an "off the shelf" product. The OEM tires are a set of compromises that often makes them have negative qualities. For example-quietness over wet traction. (Ask me how I know.) Do your research on the Internet on tires and then decide.

Other than sports cars-- where the buyer will be looking at such things, the tires that come with a new car are generally quite lousy. The manufacturer needed to put something on there so the car could roll out of the dealer.

I'm pretty sure that I've read on here that aftermarket tires are not held to the same standard as the tires that come with the car. In other words if my new Santa Fe came with Continental XYZ tires and if I want to replace them later on with the same thing, those aftermarket Continental XYZ tires might look the same and have the same specifications, but would not be built to the same standard as the tires that came on the car. Correct? If that is so, my question is would that also apply to buying the same tire from the Hyundai dealer? I would guess that the Continental XYZ sold at the dealer would probably be the same as the tire I would get from Tire Rack or any other tire dealer. Am I correct that a replacement tire gotten from a new car dealership would not be up to the same standard as the tire that was delivered on the car?

I don't need tires yet, buy wondering if there was any advantage to buying from the dealership when the time comes.

Thanks

if you buy from the dealer, they buy from a tyre warehouse. Unless it's tyres that were dismounted from a car for whatever reason.

But, besides rolling resistance, OE tyres aren't any better and in a lot of ways worse

Mercedes actually sells several brand names of tires, AND they are marked MOE on the sidewall, Mercedes Original Equipment. I somehow doubt that they would be inferior to any tire you get at Discount Tire, but as CKN says, "it's one of life's great mysteries".

I plan on getting replacement tires at the Mercedes dealer, since their prices seem competitive, and they often offer discounts.

Thanks
Depends on whether your tires have an "H" or "HN". The is the OE designation for Hyundai tires. Yes there can be differences in the construction of the "OE" vs "Non-OE" of the same tire.

I think the biggest difference is the OE has good tire/wheel balancing at the factory. But the tires are probably the same tires.

Other than sports cars-- where the buyer will be looking at such things, the tires that come with a new car are generally quite lousy. The manufacturer needed to put something on there so the car could roll out of the dealer.
This. Add: help generate good CAFE numbers and be quiet on the test drive. Handling, braking, etc........not primary concerns.

This. Add: help generate good CAFE numbers and be quiet on the test drive. Handling, braking, etc........not primary concerns.

Yeah I think road noise is an important factor, and perhaps sometimes overlooked. I went with my uncle to test drive a new Mazda 3 and there was SO MUCH ROAD NOISE literally to the point he didn't buy the car and bought a Sentra instead.

Correct. Most OE tires suck, being designed for low price and low rolling resistance (better fuel economy or EV range). Even with the same name, they can be different. As others have stated, the OE tires often have special markings to indicate such.

CAFE, noise, and ride is the main for most cars, which is fine with me on a family vehicle. In an above post Mazda made the mistake of trying to get some handling as well, which added some noise and it cost them a sale...
Subaru put the T speed rated version of the DUELER H/P SPORT AS on our car as it has a tread width of 6.6" vs 7.7" of the H speed version. Looks a bit funny and makes the sidewalls a little more vulnerable to cuts when soft roading, but they have survived so far and are quiet and roll and were surprisingly good in snow the first half winter. Our Xice2 winters are actually a bit wider and aren't great in slush clearing at speed, but have almost the same grip and feel on dry pavement now that they are 3 seasons old.
On our 03 Tracker, GM went for maximum mileage and those tires wore like iron and gripped like iron in the wet.... I still will never buy a Tigerpaw anything again, they were junk.

CAFE, noise, and ride is the main for most cars, which is fine with me on a family vehicle. In an above post Mazda made the mistake of trying to get some handling as well, which added some noise and it cost them a sale...
Subaru put the T speed rated version of the DUELER H/P SPORT AS on our car as it has a tread width of 6.6" vs 7.7" of the H speed version. Looks a bit funny and makes the sidewalls a little more vulnerable to cuts when soft roading, but they have survived so far and are quiet and roll and were surprisingly good in snow the first half winter. Our Xice2 winters are actually a bit wider and aren't great in slush clearing at speed, but have almost the same grip and feel on dry pavement now that they are 3 seasons old.
On our 03 Tracker, GM went for maximum mileage and those tires wore like iron and gripped like iron in the wet....

It's so sad, the Mazda was so much better of a car. And I'm concerned about long term CVT durability on the Nissan. About 5 years now, so far so good, but he doesn't drive much.

It's so sad, the Mazda was so much better of a car. And I'm concerned about long term CVT durability on the Nissan. About 5 years now, so far so good, but he doesn't drive much.
I had a Kia Forte rental and the tires were Fortissimo! Lowish profile 17's kind of look cool but that chassis could use some quieter higher profile 16" tires for most people I think.

The Giti all-seasons that came with the Tiguan are the same ones you can buy at Tire Rack. So far they perform well in the rain and aren't noisy. I have a set of winter tires so I don't know how they perform in the snow.

Although Giti is an Indonesian company the tires on the vehicle were made in China. I never wanted Chinese tires but I have nothing to complain about with these.

They may or may not be the same. But if they're different, you'll end up with a better tire than the OE.

OK, allow me to clear this up.

To OP: There is no advantage to buying tire from a car dealer as opposed to a local (or internet) tire dealer. You'll see below why.

And just for the record: At every step I outline below there are exceptions. But they are pretty rare.

An OE tire is a tire that comes on a vehicle from the factory - and all tires with the identical marks sold in the aftermarket. Those tires are designed to the vehicle manufacturer's specs - which are different than what the specs would be from the tire manufacturer. Typically the difference is rolling resistance, wear, and traction as those 3 things are balanced against one another. Change one and the others have to change as well.

What this means is that the casing is the same, but the tread rubber compound and the tread pattern are different. And by tread pattern I mean the width, depth, and void ratio - and sometimes the pattern itself is completely different.

All OE tires are identified in some way. BMW requires a star, GM requires a TPC number, etc. In the manufacturing process, when the tire comes out of the mold, it has that identifier.

And the specs for each OE tire is different for each size/make/model. This means that even though 2 tires have the same name on the sidewall, if it's a different size, it's a different tire. Further, sometimes that same size/make/model tire is supplied to different vehicle manufacturers, each is different - and you distinguish the difference with the identifying mark.

In the manufacturing process, after curing in the mold, the tire is trimmed and inspected - both by humans and by machines. Each vehicle manufacturer has "Quality Specs" for things like the appearance, balance, uniformity, etc. and each spec is different. It is here where the difference between a tire supplied to the vehicle assembly plant will differ from the otherwise identical tire at the tire dealer. It's possible to sort tires. Typically the OEM gets the best, with slightly less quality tires going to the "downstream" market - meaning tire dealers and other retail outlets. The tire itself would have the same tread rubber compound and have the same identifying marks, but - perhaps - the amount of weight needed to balance is slightly worse - among other things.

So there you have it. Yes, it's complex, but because car manufacturers buy so many tires, they get to make the rules.

Sports cars come with lousy OEM tires depending on the use of said sports car.

Most come with summer tires with lousy wet/cold ratings. Great if it’s a weekend driver on sunny days, bad if you’re dailying it.

Ask Mustang/Camaro daily drivers lol

Back