Aftermarket inkjet ink to refill cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a laser printer for easy maintenance. I got HP Officejet Pro 6830 because the feeder is broken. The owner was throwing it away.

I don't want to take it to Costco to refill the cartridges. Amazon and ebay list a ton of aftermarket inks. I wonder if anybody has tried any of these ink products and have a good experience.

Thanks in advance.

I've used off brand toners in the past and in my current Brother MFC colour laser without issues. Just look for good reviews and you should be fine.

Last edited:
they can be hit or miss, I know I've installed a few generic cartridges in a Canon and it seemed to work. Canons seem to take to aftermarket ink well, as they are also used by 3rd parties for things like printing edible ink onto fondant sheets for picture cakes.

Avoid aftermarket ink in a Epson, those printers are known to have ink gel up in the printhead if the printer isn't used everyday - and that problem shouldn't be exasperated by mixing chemistries.

Operating costs may make it more economical to buy/pay for a new printer - for more than I decade I used a Brother inkjet and initially $2, ultimately $1 and less generic cartridges.. in the early years Staples was paying/crediting $2 for the empties -voila, free ink. Then it was just cheap. I replaced the printer about a year ago with another Brother but only bought after I checked for cheap generic availability - if I bought the 'wrong' Brother the generics were more like $7 instead of around $3 each for the J4620DW I selected (Printer just a bit over $100 (all-in-one).. these are more involved and expensive because of a chip/circuit board. I find the print quality totally fine.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I've used off brand toners in the past and in my current Brother MFC colour laser without issues. Just look for good reviews and you should be fine.
Brother MFC9340 here and we've used aftermarket toners as soon as the 90-day warranty was up. For what we print, they do just fine. If we need "good" color prints, we send the job to the local UPS Store. I used E-Z Ink toners for a long time but they had some bad batches it seemed like (others posted Amazon reviews with the same symptoms) and I switched to Arthur Imaging. The print quality seems to be slightly lower than the E-Z Ink but again, for what we print, don't care.... I also go almost 2x the print count as well so that might be why the print quality looks lower ! When it tells me to change the toner(s), I just reset the counter.

I've had GREAT luck with Linkyo. They have their own website, www.linkyo.com , or you can just go on amazon if you don't like giving cc info to a small business like that, Search for your ink cartridge and also include linkyo, and amazon will bring it up for you. You can find cheaper ink on amazon if you want, but I stopped buying the cheapest ink when I realized that it was only lasting 600-800 pages. Linkyo toner typically gets me 1400-2000 pages, so its well worth paying a couple bucks more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by StevieC
Brother MFC9340 here and we've used aftermarket toners as soon as the 90-day warranty was up. For what we print, they do just fine. If we need "good" color prints, we send the job to the local UPS Store. I used E-Z Ink toners for a long time but they had some bad batches it seemed like (others posted Amazon reviews with the same symptoms) and I switched to Arthur Imaging. The print quality seems to be slightly lower than the E-Z Ink but again, for what we print, don't care.... I also go almost 2x the print count as well so that might be why the print quality looks lower ! When it tells me to change the toner(s), I just reset the counter.

I get mine from Amazon.ca through a 3rd party seller on there. I'll have to look it up when I get home and see if they also service the US but I have been happy with the toner from them so far. No difference to the brother official toners in terms of quality or page count that I can see but they are about 1/3'rd the price of official Brother toner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back