Looking for a good economical home office laser printer...?

I now work from home permanently. I was extended the offer a little over a month ago, and took them up on it. Went in for one last time, and cleaned out my office.

Now that working from home for "two weeks" might actually end up being several years for me.... I'm looking at replacing my current HP ink jet printer/scanner/copier with a smaller 'all-in-one' laser unit.

I had to print out a few documents, and my ink jet ran out of ink. Thankfully, I keep a spare black cartridge on hand. But with today's issues, I discovered that OEM ink jet cartridges for my less than 5 year old ink jet are difficult to source.... and even more expensive than before. Looked online... out of stock. Went to Wal-Mart, they were out of stock of nearly everything. I bought this unit before Christmas one year, and paid around $60 for it, so I'm out very little.

So.... I'm looking to upgrade to a smaller laser unit, that can also scan and copy, without spending a lot of money. It is easier to make this investment into something better, when it is already going to cost me $50 for an inkjet cartridge. I'd rather take that $50, and put it towards something better, moving forward. I'm partial to HP from previous units, but not brand loyal.

Any suggestions from your experiences?

I quit buying $400 printers because of what you wrote - gets hard to find stuff - bought two $69 HP printers so that we are splitting the workload - but same ink cartridges …

When I worked at Office Depot ~10 years ago, Brother was the top pick for lasers.

For the investment you're looking to put in, I would recommend going into Staples or Office Depot/Max and shop around more get a better idea of the features you want and to get hands-on. Your biggest factors to consider are whether or not you need an auto doc feeder for copying, wifi, color, fax, auto duplexing, and what kind of screen you want.

If you want a color laser with LCD screen, you're almost certainly going to end up with HP, otherwise you'll probably end up with a Brother.

Brother seems to do well with economical laser printers.

I have had tremendous reliability from my Brother. It just seems to always work both from the hardware end, but just as important from the software end.

Brother makes excellent (and inexpensive) Home Office printers, so I echo everyone else's sentiment in that regard. Yes, you could step up to a Xerox, Lexmark or HP and spend more money, but there's really no point.

Brother
they just work and inexpensive off brand toner available.

are you interested in a sheetfed scanner or fax?

Being repetitive but go Brother MFC-L2XXX.

The XXX is different models with different features, depends on what you want.

Ours has been flawless for 3 years now.

you can get no name ink cartridges for CHEEP but my next one if needed will be a basic brother lazer from all the recommendations i see!!

No complaints about the little Samsung laser I bought around 15 years ago. I print infrequently, but it works when I need it to.

Edit: Disregard - Samsung printers don't exist anymore.

The printer business is indeed becoming smaller, Lexmark is another casualty as it exited the consumer printer business and now only makes pricey business printers and copiers. Samsung laser printers where well liked and a good deal back in the day.

Personally unless you have obvious reason I would recommend Brother and NOT recommend HP due to their printer businesses' shady practices.

I really like my Cannon color laser printer. Before that I had Inkjets going back to 1997, and they were pricey. I print about 50 pages a year.

Back