Aftermarket CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Hyundai makes almost all of it’s transmissions for both Hyundai and Kia. They make their own CVT, 2 dry dual clutches, and 2 wet dual clutches, and a handful of ATF pumpers. I can only assume they build all of their manual trans. I think the Kia Stinger is made by ZF.
The Genesis 3.8 initially had an Aisin 6-speed before it was moved to a Hyundai Powertech unit. The V8 models got a ZF 6HP. That too got moved over to a Hyundai 8-speed.

Yeah, I can't bring myself to use anything other than the OEM Honda CVT fluid for my 2015 Accord... yet.
I'm like 99% sure the honda HSF-2 fluid is MADE by Eneos as primary with Idemitsu as secondary supplier. OEM yes but honda contracts out the making of the fluid too..... Eneos and Idemitsu. Honda only writes the spec. I'm going Amsoil CVT in my 2013 accord EX with 105K on it.

My father has a 17 Corolla and I serviced it with Motul CVTF and it made a good difference in the smoothness of the unit. His car sees a lot of stop and go city life as he is a driving instructor and piles the miles on. Its almost due for another one.
Motul lists this fluid as compatible and no issues in almost 50k miles.

I've only ever used Castrol transmax and red line Cvt fluid. I changed the fluid the day I bought my Accord with OEM at 35,000 miles on the odometer. At 40,000 miles I change the fluid again over to Castrol and have since changed it every 10 to 15,000 miles since only adding BG CVT Plus 303. My other Accord is a 15 and has 490,000 mi on it and had a slight hesitation. After adding the BG additive it has came back to running like new.

I've only ever used Castrol transmax and red line Cvt fluid. I changed the fluid the day I bought my Accord with OEM at 35,000 miles on the odometer. At 40,000 miles I change the fluid again over to Castrol and have since changed it every 10 to 15,000 miles since only adding BG CVT Plus 303. My other Accord is a 15 and has 490,000 mi on it and had a slight hesitation. After adding the BG additive it has came back to running like new.

almost 500k is awesome, and not just for a CVT, either :D

I would stick to OEM fluid on the CVT.....IMO
Most oem fluid is overpriced and bare A$# minimum specs. I bought the Castrol for less money,better product data sheet performance numbers, and it kept my 2015 Civic going to 382500 miles on original cvt no issues. I use the Redline CVT when eliteracefabrication runs their Redline Oil sale for 20% off on oil and tranny fluid and at that price it is 11.16 a qt

We'll use the dealer for the CVT fluid change on the Outback while its in warranty. I'm thinking CVT fluid is pretty specific to each transmission so I won't use anything else until I do some research on it. You don't really get a second chance if the belt/chain slips.
DANG Bamboozled by another old thread! Thanks a lot, Slack and Revving !

I thought Subaru were lifetime fill ? Our dealer refused to service the CVT at 60K. Then Subaru came out with a courtesy extended warranty on the unit. Subaru doesn't use a shim stack pusher belt like JATCO. IIRC they have a high capacity cartridge filter internal to the trans which is not serviceable.

Valvoline or Castrol Or Eneos or Idemitsu fluid of the correct spec for Toyota will work fine. The Magic is in the friction modifier package. And on Jatco - dumping FF soon after wear in (<1 year 10K miles) as the "belt and sheaves slough-off many grams of material thru wear in that can get into the hydraulic logic circuit. - Ken

Last edited:

I thought Subaru were lifetime fill ? Our dealer refused to service the CVT at 60K. Then Subaru came out with a courtesy extended warranty on the unit. Subaru doesn't use a shim stack pusher belt like JATCO. IIRC they have a high capacity cartridge filter internal to the trans which is not serviceable.

Valvoline or Castrol Or Eneos or Idemitsu fluid of the correct spec for Toyota will work fine. The Magic is in the friction modifier package. And on Jatco - dumping FF soon after wear in (
Well I do what I can! I'm really puzzled at Subaru and their lack of willingness on their cvts to change the fluid before 60,000 miles or at all for that matter. Unless they're going to give me lifetime transmissions I'm not dealing with them. I can knock out 60000 miles in 10 months. From my understanding they aren't very easy to service either.

Most oem fluid is overpriced and bare A$# minimum specs. I bought the Castrol for less money,better product data sheet performance numbers, and it kept my 2015 Civic going to 382500 miles on original cvt no issues. I use the Redline CVT when eliteracefabrication runs their Redline Oil sale for 20% off on oil and tranny fluid and at that price it is 11.16 a qt
thats great but I will stick for Honda CVT fluid for my 21 Honda HRV...

Valvoline or Castrol Or Eneos or Idemitsu fluid of the correct spec for Toyota will work fine. The Magic is in the friction modifier package. And on Jatco - dumping FF soon after wear in (
Our extended CVT extended warranty is to 100k miles, but needs 1 fluid change before 60k miles to be honoured. So we did that at about 50k miles at the dealer, and probably I'll do one more CVT fluid change at 99k miles just incase chunks come out.... :LOL: Our dealer is pretty reasonable around $250 with the fluid so I'm ok with that.
Does your manual have a severe service/towing change interval for the CVT? Ours is changing the fluid every 30k miles.

Well I do what I can! I'm really puzzled at Subaru and their lack of willingness on their cvts to change the fluid before 60,000 miles or at all for that matter. Unless they're going to give me lifetime transmissions I'm not dealing with them. I can knock out 60000 miles in 10 months. From my understanding they aren't very easy to service either.
I'm not sure what it is that would make people say that changing fluid in a Subaru CVT is hard. Drain out of the drain plug. Fill it from the fill plug. Perhaps it is the process of running it to temperature, to get the right fill level? Frankly, that's not really that hard either. The Mercedes 722.9 transmission has a very similar procedure to get the right fluid level, so perhaps I'm just accustomed to it.

If you don't have a scan tool that reads real time transmission temperature, I guess it may seem to be a hard thing.

I'm not sure what it is that would make people say that changing fluid in a Subaru CVT is hard. Drain out of the drain plug. Fill it from the fill plug. Perhaps it is the process of running it to temperature, to get the right fill level? Frankly, that's not really that hard either. The Mercedes 722.9 transmission has a very similar procedure to get the right fluid level, so perhaps I'm just accustomed to it.

If you don't have a scan tool that reads real time transmission temperature, I guess it may seem to be a hard thing.

I know in the case of my 2016 Forester, the fill plug was a pain to get at w/out access to a lift. I never did wind up doing a spill and fill on that one in the time I owned it.

oops! I was bamboozled too :oops:

At least this particular thread was started in October 2021, so still not too bad ;)

Nissan was/is the same way. Bought my ride from the dealership new and have had most oil changes done there. Around the 30K mile point I asked if they could check the CVT fluid and they gave me the 'well Nissan recommends it be checked at the 60K point' and since there were no signs of leaks, etc. it was considered fine. Each time I mentioned it leading up to the 60K point I got the same reply. Has a dipstick so I check it myself periodically for fluid level, clarity, etc. Around the 75K point I had them change the fluid as well as some other fluid exchanges were being done. I likely would've done it myself, but at that time it was still under the extended warranty so decided to make sure that wasn't an 'if' in the event something was to happen under warranty.

That dealership has been quite good since day 1 and I found it funny when yrs ago I contacted them via their online chat to ask if they stock/sell the Nissan CVT fluid as I wanted to keep a qt onhand just in case I ever needed to add a bit. Ended up getting a qt of the Amsoil since at that time it was about the same price as the Nissan version. Received a call/message from the service dept wanting to discuss that as it was one of those things Nissan recommends being addressed by the dealership, lmao. So yeah they take that 60K mileage CVT fluid blah blah blah thing serious as well. Just over 90K at this point and the CVT has been flawless from day one and of course expect/hope it to stay that way.

Our extended CVT extended warranty is to 100k miles, but needs 1 fluid change before 60k miles to be honoured. ....
Funny the last one from Subaru was don't touch the thing. Probably trying to figure out what was killing the trans improper service - or design flaw.
Does your manual have a severe service/towing change interval for the CVT? Ours is changing the fluid every 30k miles.
Yes, but that is on IGNORE as we don't do severe service. I tried to use that note to get my dealer to change the juice at 60K but they said NO WAY! I guess they were intimidated by the Fuji Hammer
- Ken

Funny the last one from Subaru was don't touch the thing. Probably trying to figure out what was killing the trans improper service - or design flaw.

Yes, but that is on IGNORE as we don't do severe service. I tried to use that note to get my dealer to change the juice at 60K but they said NO WAY! I guess they were intimidated by the Fuji Hammer
- Ken
In Canada the extended warranty only goes up to 2018, and the CVT still needs a change at 60k miles. The subaru site also says the 2022 outbacks still need a CVT fluid change at 60k miles, but there's no mention of an extended CVT warranty after 2018 either. I don't really know why subaru america says don't change the fluid ever? I'm sure almost every other country would recommend a change? I guess they figure the majority of the Outbacks will make in to 10-12 years 200k miles with no changes? Still seems odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back