Aftermarket Cruise Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want cruise control on my new 2005 cavalier 5 speed manual. I had it added at the dealer on my truck for $300. It works ok but not as good as the factory setup on my Malibu. I think the truck has a vaccuum system. ITs called global cruise. What are my options for the Cavalier? Ziebart says $400, the dealer says $250-500 depending on vaccuum or electric. What should I do? Are they hard to install by myself? Can I get a factory cruise switch (on the turn signal lever) and wire that into an aftermarket kit?

Keep an eye out for a 2005 Cavalier wreck, and pull the parts. I can't believe in this day and age every car isn't equipped with an autothrottle -- those buttons on the turn stalk must cost all of $1.00 to make, and the actual functionality is generally built into the ECU.

I got a cheap audiovox from jc whitney for ~$100. It lets you use your own switches, and gives you wire color codes. It's real flexible but that also means it's a real pain to set up. I got the cheap vacuum model over the electric one that was $10 more. Wound up spending $15 for vacuum hose and adaptors.
frown.gif

Take a gander at your motor, look at the throttle body and see if there's an extra cable clip there (hard to describe.) Or do you have throttle-by-wire? Incidentally the audiovox can be set to monitor RPM on your 5-speed; will sense a sudden RPM speed up and drop cruise if you put the clutch in. Will need a VSS signal with an automatic. Oddly in my saturn the RPM signal only let it go 58 mph, VSS broke that barrier.

They are a pain to install; I'd recommend the electric version. If you have throttle-by-wire I'd find a dealer that can work with that.

I had what appeared to be a quality unit installed into a Honda hatchback we used to own.

Hated it! The thing was constantly hunting. My wife (no 'car freak' mind you) got 'seasick' on a long trip from the thing.

I can't understand what was so hard for that box to figure out.

After that and an aftermarket remote door opener gone haywire, I'm done with that stuff. That said, no cruise control is a 'deal breaker' for me now...

At the price I paid for this car, just about nothing was gonna be a deal breaker, except a higher price. I knew I could get it installed for $300 or so aftermarket, and I also know that it wont work that great like factory. They had one with cruise, but they just wont sell it as cheap as this one. It was gonna be $1300 for just one $300 option. I wasnt having it. This is not a cadillac...its the cheapest cavalier on the lot. But its brand new, 140hp and 5 speed and has AC and CD. Thats cheap transportation with plenty of luxury for me. So anyone got any advice on good kits or installation tips?

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
So anyone got any advice on good kits or installation tips?

See if GM has a kit to install the factory one. I added a factory cruise control to a Dodge several yearas ago with a factory kit. It was nice because everything just bolted in place and plugged in.

The pic on the right is the one on my truck. It was $300 to installed by dealer, and I think its a vaccuum system because I have to squeeze the button for a second or so to get it to engage. Then when I tap the brake I can hear the gas pedal "thunk" as it snaps back. But it works and...

"Increases comfort and reduces fatigue
Prevents fuel waste due to erratic speed
Avoid tickets from unintended speeding "

just like I need it to. Im going to shoot for an electronic one on this car if its not going to cost a ton extra. I can get the factory turn signal/cruise switch on ebay for $75--not too bad unless a kit is really $200 then Ill just pay someone to install the stuff. If I can do it for less than half of the install cost, Ill do it, otherwise Ill pay. I got the phone number of the guy who supposedley does all of the installs for local dealerships. So I can hopefully deal with him directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back