After trying a few top-tier oils in my 4.2 Audi V8 I've found that Motul 0W-40 E-tech

Is the only oil that hasn't burned 1 drop in over 1000 miles. Pentosynth, Redline 5W-40, and GC and Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 all needed oil added at the rate of ~ 1/2 qt. per 1000 miles. So far, none at all with the Motul E-tech 0W-40. Would there be a reason other than the oil itself? I am now at 16,000 miles and added the motul at 14,500. Could the engine have just reached a point where it has stopped consuming oil, or would it have did that a long time ago?

vad

Your engine is still very new. After the initial break in it stoped consuming oil. And yes, that's a lot of wasted oil. [Confused]

If you did a hard break-in I would say it's the oil. If you did a slow user manual break-in, it could be that your comsumption has plataued, or a combination of this and the oil. It's hard to believe that a sudden stop in consumption isn't oil related. The only way to tell would be to go back to one of the others. GC would be a cheap and harmless way to tell. If you're comfortable with the cost of Motul, there's certainly no reason not to stick with it.

HardCharger

I feel comfortable changing the oil @ 5K mi. OCI's. The extra change was due to the dealer being "nice" and squeezing a freebie change in with an oil that I did not wish to run, for a perhaps unfounded reason (I didn't want a grp. III oil).

you went through 4 diff oils + the OEM oil in only 15k? That's hard to believe. That's also a lot of wasted oil. That being said, your perceived lack of consumption could also be due to the fact that you added a little more motul than normal when filling and when you checked it, there wasn't enough of a perceivable difference for you to notice any lost oil. 1/2 quart in an 11.3 quart sump is practically nothing. Dave

It looks like every engine likes its own oil brand and viscosity. E-Tech 0W-40 consumption at my Prelude 2.2 was among the highest: about 0.70 l for 5K km. This is nearly equal to 0.60 l with GC 0W-30 and Elf 5W-40. The best results (about 0.15 l) showed Elf 0W-40 and two Motul 300V: 10W-40 and 15W-50.