Africa HOT here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just run your furnace fan and cut a big hole in your cold-air return line so it draws air from the basement. This is what we do and very-rarely need to run the A/C compressor.

First summer we moved in we had Hydro bills in excess of $300/mo in the summer and now they are $125/mo

Then in the winter, we cover the hole so it draws air from the second level again.

Works great, keeps the basement smelling great because the air is moving and it keeps the upstairs cool without running the 50amp compressor!
wink.gif

PM me and I will post pictures if you want!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Just run your furnace fan and cut a big hole in your cold-air return line so it draws air from the basement. This is what we do and very-rarely need to run the A/C compressor.

That's an awesome idea!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What is a basement?

Lol...yep, not too many folks out here actually have a basement.
Speaking of heat....today is going to top 100 degrees! Yesterday, with a high at my place of about 98-100 I lost two chickens. I've got about 35 of them and am just sick that I lost a couple. I'm running the sprinkler on them and filling the water buckets with fresh, cold water every four or five hours. So far they are doing better. My [censored] a/c is on 24/7 and it still gets over 80 in my house! Also this past spring I put in new lawn and landscaping....talk about a HUGE water bill coming (along with the power bill).
I love heat and sun....but not when I am not equiped to handle it....as not many of us are out in MILD northwest.

I was just in Terrace BC, a 1,330km drive North from Vancouver. It is supposed to hit 38C (100F) there today. Considering they are located 54 degrees latitude, that's bleedin' hot.

35 C here in Vancouver. Holy smokes, not sure it's ever been this hot here before! If it weren't for the ocean we'd probably hit 40.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Record breaking, very unusual.

Here too. Along the coast we are lucky if we hit the 60s during the day. 50s after dark are common. Seems to me the coldest summer since I moved here. Now, inland and in Marin county, there it's quite toasty.

For those of you who have a basement!
grin2.gif

acsetup.jpg

I cut a square 18" hole in mine and bought a plastic panel from home depot that goes on drywall to cover a hole and use this to seal it up in the winter time. Works great and saves a ton on cooling costs.

We leave out fan on the "ON" setting instead of auto and set the temperature to the desired setting. This causes the compressor only to come on when the basement air isn't cool enough to keep the house cool.

Here is what the access cover looks like and it fits nicely into the vent and can be bought up to 20"x20" I believe.

ez_bracket_back.jpg
ez_bracket_side_profile.jpg

(Resurrecting my obligatory post for the summer:)

Just remember, this is the "warm weather" so many of you wished for so devoutly back in February!

Bwahaha!
LOL.gif

Funny how you guys up north were laughin not to long ago about how hot it is in the summer for us Southern folks. I heard on the news this morning how unusually cool the month of July has been for Nashville.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkC
I've seen my share of heat, thanks, I grew up (allegedly) in North Carolina.
Being outside in 104 here isn't what sucks, it's being inside without AC.

Substitute "spent my formative years" for "grew up" and you can drop the (allegedly) while being completely honest and not tipping anyone off.

Works for me.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back