AFM/DFM disabler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of these. It caused a rough 2-1 downshift. I called Range Technology and they were aware on some trucks this happens.

I sold the device.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Tahoe4Life said:
I'd be more concerned about any future A/C condenser issues $$$$$$ in that Miami "Sauna" than your AFM

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SbdN5x_d1E

My A/C Condenser went out a few weeks ago at 80k miles. GM paid the entire cost. Had it fixed the following day after it went belly up. They even paid my for rental Charger which I had for a few hours.

Yes that was a major issue in the 2015-2017 models. Yes it is a nasty Sauna here 24/7. Now that the rainy season started it is even worse.

Based on our fleet use of these engines in Silverado PU's I seriously doubt the mileage is increased 2 mpg for the average driver!

The newer ones you cannot even tell if it's on or off.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Dave9

I can understand, making a bad vehicle choice then making a bad band-aid choice. It's consistent.
wink.gif

The problem is, with trucks there is no good choice. I've been putting off getting a new truck.

Ford has had timing chain issues, gm has had afm issues, ram also has lifter mds camshaft failures.

I would use that until warranty is out then do mechanical delete.

And combined how many of these issues what percentage actually affect consumers? You likely have a better chance of blowing a tire tonight than having a issue.

Originally Posted by ls1mike

I can understand, making a bad vehicle choice then making a bad band-aid choice. It's consistent.
wink.gif

The problem is, with trucks there is no good choice. I've been putting off getting a new truck.

Ford has had timing chain issues, gm has had afm issues, ram also has lifter mds camshaft failures.

So get a gas 3/4 ton or up. You can get them for the same price as a half ton, better everything (except MPG) with the gas motor and Ford and GM do not have AFM in their 3/4 ton and up gassers.

You cant get a comparably equipped one for the same price. You have to go down at least one trim level to get one near a half-ton price.

Originally Posted by dave1251

wink.gif

And combined how many of these issues what percentage actually affect consumers? You likely have a better chance of blowing a tire tonight than having a issue.

Originally Posted by super20dan
I agree the big 3 trucks ALL have major flaws. the tundra is the only choice now

The Tundra- a brand new 12 year old vehicle..........

Last edited:
I agree the big 3 trucks ALL have major flaws. the tundra is the only choice now

Which is fine is just shows a lack of understanding how manufacturing works. If you compared the big GM, Ford, and Ram units sold with issues compared to Toyota units sold the amounts would be within 2 or 1 percentage points of all makes combined.

Originally Posted by CKN

With a over a dozen recalls within the last 24 months.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Is anyone else tired of the Toyota fan-ism? Jeez, these folks are sold hard on that name!

We might have to bring in Dr Phil … my way or highway is getting thick here …

Anyway appreciate you and Dave bringing reality into these threads ✅

Originally Posted by 4WD
Is anyone else tired of the Toyota fan-ism? Jeez, these folks are sold hard on that name!

We might have to bring in Dr Phil … my way or highway is getting thick here …

Anyway appreciate you and Dave bringing reality into these threads ✅

Many thanks. I just know from experience that almost every mass producer has a few lemons in the mix. Nobody makes perfect cars every time in true mass production volumes.

Originally Posted by CKN

wink.gif

So get a gas 3/4 ton or up. You can get them for the same price as a half ton, better everything (except MPG) with the gas motor and Ford and GM do not have AFM in their 3/4 ton and up gassers.

You cant get a comparably equipped one for the same price. You have to go down at least one trim level to get one near a half-ton price.

Not a diesel but the gas ones sell for about the same out here. Most people want the diesel so will deal on the gasser. When I was looking they had two LTZs on the lot one 1/2 gasser one 3/4 ton gasser there was 580 dollars between the two. 53,000ish each. the diesel LT was 63,000.

So get a gas 3/4 ton or up. You can get them for the same price as a half ton, better everything (except MPG) with the gas motor and Ford and GM do not have AFM in their 3/4 ton and up gassers. [/quote]

You cant get a comparably equipped one for the same price. You have to go down at least one trim level to get one near a half-ton price.[/quote]

Not a diesel but the gas ones sell for about the same out here. Most people want the diesel so will deal on the gasser. When I was looking they had two LTZs on the lot one 1/2 gasser one 3/4 ton gasser there was 580 dollars between the two. 53,000ish each. the diesel LT was 63,000.
[/quote]

Take a picture of the stickers and show me they both have the same equipment. The same options......

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
The pickup tube o-ring is prone to failure in these engines. Thats real bad for an AFM engine which relies on oil pressure to do its thing. IMO a $2 oring, not AFM is the real cause of engine failure.

That is all LS based engines over a long period of time. That O-ring is not the main reason for the lifter failure. That would mean you see it often in stuff like the 5.3 or 6.0 prior to 07 or an LS1, that is not the case. While oil pressure issues are the problem it is usually in the VLOM.
Failure of the o-ring will cause an overall loss or lowering of oil pressure. A failure or "clog" in the VLOM is generally what causes a specific lifter failure.

This mostly makes my point. The o-ring failure may have been a problem in pre AFM engines, but they did not have collapsible lifters that relied on oil pressure. So pre AFM engines could get by with less oil pressure. Tick and rattle, but survive. Whereas the AFM lifters would get stuck and grenade the cam lobe when there was not enough oil pressure. Sure a clog might be a problem also. Which is also a lack of oil pressure. But that would mean every engine that fails is dirty. Which is not the case. The only common theme is low oil pressure and that's why I think it's the ring more than anything else.

the answer to this is to not buy a truck with afm . if enough people do this mabey they will stop forcing this unneeded tech down our throats .

Originally Posted by CKN

still hands down best pickup for reliability , the 12 year old desighn is a blessing. no amf/dod

Originally Posted by CKN

still hands down best pickup for reliability , the 12 year old desighn is a blessing. no amf/dod

A 12 year old design plagued with a recall every other month is not a indication of reliability. The truck is losing market share month over month so most consumers do not consider Tundra reliability to be significantly higher than anything else. The consumer is right.

Some of us are tired of the Crown Vic"fan-ism".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back