Aem dryflow air filter

A few dyno companies reporting that the K&N/TRD collapses under boost.
Ok, so this wasn't based on your experience. Got it. I've heard rumors of this before but always wondered how that happened...you would think this would be more related to clogged filters that weren't flowing well. My car hits 22.5 psi and no drama with the K&N.

Yes, not my experience. My interpretation was that due to the flat panel design the of the TRD filter which is identical to the K&N that it was seeing slight collapsing under moderate boost with the supercharger installation on the Toyota Tundra.

Ok, so this wasn't based on your experience. Got it. I've heard rumors of this before but always wondered how that happened...you would think this would be more related to clogged filters that weren't flowing well. My car hits 22.5 psi and no drama with the K&N.

Yes, not my experience. My interpretation was that due to the flat panel design the of the TRD filter which is identical to the K&N that it was seeing slight collapsing under moderate boost with the supercharger installation on the Toyota Tundra.
How much boost does that supercharge run? Can't be much.

Remember, boost =/= flow.

In order for the turbo or SC to create boost it will need to increase the air flow through the air filter - what goes into the engine must come in and go through the filter. So I'd say boost does equate to a higher airflow rate through the air filter. Why else would one collapse otherwise when it's obviously due to increased delta-p from higher flow through the filter?

Last edited:
In order for the turbo or SC to create boost it will needs to increase the air flow through the air filter - what goes into the engine must come in and go through the filter. So I'd say boost does equate to a higher airflow rate through the air filter. Why else would one collapse otherwise due to increased delta-p due to higher flow through the filter?
Yes yes yes.

My point was that "how much boost something is pushing" is not indicative by itself of how much air an engine needs.

Boost, by itself, is a measure of an engine's restriction. Put good heads on a supercharged engine and boost levels will drop because you have improved the flow.

Maybe off topic.

Does anyone use the aem dryflow air filters? Im considering buying the drop in replacement for my 3.7 F150...... how good is the filtration compared to the stock paper filter? Right now I have a Fram Ultra air filter.
I have a aem dry flow in my wife’s 19 Pilot. I had a afe prodry in my Tacoma for about 70K miles. It takes 100K or so miles to start seeing any money saved by not buying regular filters. I just went back to factory or paper filters with 30K change interval. They filter better anyway.

I put one in my RAV4 V-6 years ago. I had previously installed a tower strut brace which made changing the air filter a pain in the a$$. The longevity and high filtering percentage/airflow of the AEM easily made it my choice over stock.

Sounds like either the programming or perhaps a clutch delay valve.

A lot of owners complain about this on the Focus forum....I think it's just the nature of the beast due to low torque and possibly the dual mass flywheel.

Last edited:
Right on. Did the same on my 2013 Focus manual...snorkel delete, K&N, and the RS air box top for some noise. Also did the ST inlet/trumpet. All good little mods with some real-world improvements.

Get the throttle body from a 2.3 EB mustang. Direct bolt in and makes a world of difference.

I say go for the aem...I have one on my 2012 f150 for the last 42000 and it's been great. The afe pro dry s does look like another nice option.

SWRI test on AEM, K&N, AFE and Air Raid filters

I have the AEM Brute Force filter, but the SWRI report is no longer available, so some anecdotal evidence below:
That AEM looks pretty impressive in the SWRI testing.

Yes, AMSOIL licensed the Donaldson Synteq media, but that's not the same concept as the PowerCore, which is an actual filter design, not just a media technology. The Synteq media is also absolutely fantastic.
I agree totally. I just wish that Donaldson would make air and oil filters for a whole lot more applications. Don't mind paying for quality.

I went back to paper filters. By the time a reusable pays for it self it takes me 100K to get there. I replaced the papers every 30K.

Back