Aem dryflow air filter

Does anyone use the aem dryflow air filters? Im considering buying the drop in replacement for my 3.7 F150...... how good is the filtration compared to the stock paper filter? Right now I have a Fram Ultra air filter.

What are you hoping to accomplish? If the engine is stock you aren't going to gain any power, are you just looking to stop having to buy air filters?

Those are very similar to the K&N drop in air filters. Personally, I wouldn’t use either. You are better off with your FRAM Ultra. I’ve always been partial to OE or WIX/NAPA Gold air filters.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/0512st-aem-dryflow-filter Way better looking efficiency than K&N.
I use one on my 3.5 EB F150. No issues yet. I just cleaned it with a shop vac after 30k. Figure I’ll check it again in another 30k.
Yes, their filtration efficiency is significantly better than K&N. Best on the market is the Donaldson PowerCore, but it's not an option for many applications. Volant makes kits that use the PowerCore.

Yes, their filtration efficiency is significantly better than K&N. Best on the market is the Donaldson PowerCore, but it's not an option for many applications. Volant makes kits that use the PowerCore.
Is the power core the Donaldson filter that AmsOil relabeled as their eaa? That’s what I used on my last f150 but I bought that one when they were clearing them out.

Nevermind, looks like the power core is the design used as oe on 6.0 diesels and on many over the road tractors(not sure if oe or an added upgrade).

I use one in my supercharged Tundra. Was using the TRD filter which is the K&N filter but it was collapsing under boost. Testing has shown the AEM does not collapse under boost.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/0512st-aem-dryflow-filter Way better looking efficiency than K&N.
I use one on my 3.5 EB F150. No issues yet. I just cleaned it with a shop vac after 30k. Figure I’ll check it again in another 30k.

Nevermind, looks like the power core is the design used as oe on 6.0 diesels and on many over the road tractors(not sure if oe or an added upgrade).
Yes, AMSOIL licensed the Donaldson Synteq media, but that's not the same concept as the PowerCore, which is an actual filter design, not just a media technology. The Synteq media is also absolutely fantastic.

K&N and AEM are one of the same company. I'm not really sure how the AEM compares to stock but I run both K&N and AEM on different vehicles and prefer the AEM just because it's less messy to deal with.

Yes, K&N bought AEM? The linked article from earlier was dated 2007, so I assume from before that event. K&N is now owned by Goldman Sachs, FWIW.

I'm running the DryFlow on my vehicle and I'm not doing it for any other reason other than not wanting to buy and change air filters annually.

I've done UOAs every change and there is zero increase in wear or silicon readings and that's over the past couple of years.

Very snug fitting and it will last as long as the car.

Would I buy another one for a different vehicle? No question I would.

I bought one for my 2014 Focus with manual transmission....I have no complaints.
My reasons were because I did the 'snorkel delete'** and AEM dryflo because my M/T Focus seemed to have 'breathing difficulty' at take-off. The 'snorkel delete' and Dryflo made a difference but it's still not easy to get smooth take-offs (without concentration) and I've been driving 'stick' for over 40 years....

** the 'snorkel delete' is the removal of the plastic snorkel (tube) that seems to serve no purpose (except possibly slight sound deadening) from the front air intake tract....it seems to help with 'breathing' at take-off...

Last edited:
I'm bought one for my 2014 Focus with manual transmission....I have no complaints.
My reasons were because I did the 'snorkel delete' and AEM dryflo because my M/T Focus seemed to have 'breathing difficulty' at take-off. The snorkel delete and Dryflo made a difference but it's still hard to get smooth take-offs and I've been driving 'stick' for over 40 years....

Sounds like either the programming or perhaps a clutch delay valve.

I'm bought one for my 2014 Focus with manual transmission....I have no complaints.
My reasons were because I did the 'snorkel delete' and AEM dryflo because my M/T Focus seemed to have 'breathing difficulty' at take-off. The snorkel delete and Dryflo made a difference but it's still hard to get smooth take-offs and I've been driving 'stick' for over 40 years....
Right on. Did the same on my 2013 Focus manual...snorkel delete, K&N, and the RS air box top for some noise. Also did the ST inlet/trumpet. All good little mods with some real-world improvements.

I was actually wrong in this post. I installed the AFE Pro Dry Filter in my supercharged Tundra and NOT the AEM filter. Here are the differences between the AFE and the K&N.

16177734_1374681315939813_504071956054277247_o.jpg
16143685_1374681329273145_8413441160860318566_o.jpg

I use one in my supercharged Tundra. Was using the TRD filter which is the K&N filter but it was collapsing under boost. Testing has shown the AEM does not collapse under boost.

Think the K&N is pretty wobbly.I used the AEM Dryflow Panel then converted to the Injen Nano Dryflow. Had one in service for 150,000 miles before cleaning. Oil filters are just messy and if it gets really cold I get only imagine the filtration is even less stellar. Nylon prechargers/foam/pantyhose work to keep filters lasting longer.

Back