Advise for sp3 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to do a transmission fluid change in my 02 XG350. I am tired of paying the oem premium for sp3 and am dabbling in the synthetic fluid market with three in mind, Valvoline maxlife, Valvoline multi vehicle import, and castrol transmax import. The viscosities of these are roughly 5.9, 6.9 and 8.0cst respectively. Making the transmax closest to the oem fluid (if I recall correctly), this makes me lean more towards the transmax but by way of additive package and friction modifiers I've no idea what im getting into and any input would help.

I've been running Valvoline MVI (blue bottle) in my daughters 2008 Elantra and it works great....I think I used VML one time and it worked well too. (only about 2 quarts drain out when the plug is removed so I do a D&R annually)....it's at 113K without any transmission issues.

welcome2.gif

Maxlife is an excellent choice that is very popular on here and widely available at Walmart at a good price
smile.gif

Another good choice is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. A few times a year, the major parts stores put it on sale for $5/qt. This is my first choice, but certainly nothing wrong with Maxlife

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
I am looking to do a transmission fluid change in my 02 XG350. I am tired of paying the oem premium for sp3 and am dabbling in the synthetic fluid market with three in mind, Valvoline maxlife, Valvoline multi vehicle import, and castrol transmax import. The viscosities of these are roughly 5.9, 6.9 and 8.0cst respectively. Making the transmax closest to the oem fluid (if I recall correctly), this makes me lean more towards the transmax but by way of additive package and friction modifiers I've no idea what im getting into and any input would help.

Not really on the thickness part on SP3 within 10K miles of useage the cst will be less than both Valvoline and Castrol and at 30K 16 grade motor oil is likely thicker. So use a modern LV with confidence

I have an 04 XG350 and went with the Maxlife last year. Research on the Hyundai forums showed it to be the preferred option. Drain and fill was super easy. Four quarts drain, four quarts back in. Drain plug is very easy to access on the bottom of the pan.

Napa has Eneos SP3 specific ATF.

It is a little cheaper than factory fluid,
and of higher quality,
if I remember correctly.

That is what I used to use.

^^ Yup, I was also going to suggest the Eneos fluid:
https://www.eneos.us/product/model-sp/
ENEOS Import ATF | MODEL SP is automatic transmission fluid engineered specifically for Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi vehicles that require Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi ATF Type SP-III Genuine Fluid.

Formulated with select high-quality base oils which are combined with unique additives, ENEOS Import ATF | MODEL SP will provide outstanding compatibility with your vehicle.

I swapped out the factory SP3 with Maxlife ATF in my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe at around 36K miles. Ran perfectly.

I'm going with Idemitsu sp-3. It's pretty cheap on Amazon where I got it. 5 bucks a quart and free shipping. I figure go with the fluid thats meant to be in your transmission. Maxlife is a great fluid, but I'm just not into multi vehicle formulas. Also Valvoline makes a multi vehicle synthetic import fluid in a blue bottle that is a little "thicker" than maxlife. Go with your gut and sleep well with any fluid that meets your spec.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
I'm going with Idemitsu sp-3. It's pretty cheap on Amazon where I got it. 5 bucks a quart and free shipping. I figure go with the fluid thats meant to be in your transmission. Maxlife is a great fluid, but I'm just not into multi vehicle formulas. Also Valvoline makes a multi vehicle synthetic import fluid in a blue bottle that is a little "thicker" than maxlife. Go with your gut and sleep well with any fluid that meets your spec.

There is no Idemitsu branded and Hyundai licensed SP-III fluid however. It is Idemitsu ATF Type HK which is recommended for SP-III applications, so it is no more approved than Maxlife. Only Hyundai SP-III is actual licensed fluid.

The Eneos fluid isn't either, FWIW. Not to say either one is bad, just saying neither one is licensed regardless of how they are marketed.

To be fair the idemitsu hk and eneos have nearly identical specs. I would assume they are manufactured to mimic sp3 more than a multi vehicle formula. Maxlife is a tad thin for my liking(I don't really care about shearing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back