Advice on Hunter smart weight balancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My shop just got a brand new smart weight balancer and I went to balance my front dart wheels . It said one was good and one was off. I had a very very small vibration at highway speeds which prompted me to balance the tires. I balanced the tire that was out of balance and the vibration is much much worse. Noticable steering oscillation. So I rechecked it and it said it's off .25 so I started from scratch and it still shakes at speed. What am i doing wrong? I'm using the yellow come which is the cone that best fits and is the one Hunter recommends. I take the inner measuring tool and put it on the bottom side of the wheel on the outer area where the back side tape weights would go. Then I click the foot pedal and measure the inside area where the tape weights would go on the inside. Then i spin it and make necessary corrections. I even checked the centering and the calibration.....when I reinstalled the wheel I torqued it down with a torque wrench in the proper sequence. I have no idea what the issue is. Any help is appreciated

I assume you put your hairy eyeball on the rim while it was on the balancer, and on the tire tread, and that all spun true.

It could be something like road force.

What if you rotate the rear to the front? What if you break the tire down on the rim and rotate it 90 degrees?

My experience with balancers is that if I mismeasure rim distance, width, or even diameter, it will affect the amplitude (amount) of weight needed for correction but once it's zeroed, it's balanced.

FWIW smartweight is "cheap weight" in that it saves shop owners money on weights. If it has a "fine" mode use that.

Contact your local Hunter service rep. They will help you.

If would like to play more, set SmartWeight to technical mode to see if the couple imbalance improved.

Last time I balanced it I used the technical balance . The tires road force is good to . I had it checked a couple months back it was at 4lbs.

I know the tire and wheel combo is true and good. I'm just not sure why the vibration after balancing was 10 times worse than before.

Originally Posted by ram_man
My shop just got a brand new smart weight balancer and I went to balance my front dart wheels . It said one was good and one was off. I had a very very small vibration at highway speeds which prompted me to balance the tires. I balanced the tire that was out of balance and the vibration is much much worse. Noticable steering oscillation. So I rechecked it and it said it's off .25 so I started from scratch and it still shakes at speed. What am i doing wrong? I'm using the yellow come which is the cone that best fits and is the one Hunter recommends. I take the inner measuring tool and put it on the bottom side of the wheel on the outer area where the back side tape weights would go. Then I click the foot pedal and measure the inside area where the tape weights would go on the inside. Then i spin it and make necessary corrections. I even checked the centering and the calibration.....when I reinstalled the wheel I torqued it down with a torque wrench in the proper sequence. I have no idea what the issue is. Any help is appreciated

2 thoughts:

Could it be something else vibrating? Try rotating the tires front to rear.

It's possible that the tire has developed a flat spot. See if you can find a Road Force machine - and yes, tires can change over time and it isn't always visually apparent..

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by ram_man

2 thoughts:

Could it be something else vibrating? Try rotating the tires front to rear.

It's possible that the tire has developed a flat spot. See if you can find a Road Force machine - and yes, tires can change over time and it isn't always visually apparent..

Doubtful since it started immediately after balancing the one tire. Literally drove it to work was fine balanced it and now it shakes like [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back