Advice on grease storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the threads on oil separating from grease, but I'm curious if anyone I in the same situation as me. I very infrequently use my grease gun (Harley only), maybe 1-2 times a year, so a full size cartridge lasts a number of years. The rest of the time it just sits and no matter what I do it drips oil and is frankly a nuisance, even tho I've pulled back the plunger and even loosened the cap to take out the pressure. After awhile the oil that separates out seems to be substantial so my concern is how good is the remaining grease that's left in the cartridge, IOW how much oil can it lose before it's garbage? It seems to lose about a tablespoon a month maybe.

So what I'm wondering is if it would make sense to squirt all the remaining grease into a sealed container, where the oil never seems to separate and even if it did I could stir it back in, and when I need to use the gun just get a small 3 oz gun and load it via suction from the storage container. Is that a better solution to letting the grease gun just endlessly leak?

FYI this particular grease is Harley wheel bearing grease that I use in the steering head roller bearings which have a zerk fitting, I like it a lot because once it's in it never drips oil all over the bike like a lot of greases do, it only drips when in a gun. I also use it for general purpose greasing but this is the only use I have for it in a gun. It never seems to separate when stored in a tub, nor does the Mobil 1 I have.

Or is this an unnecessary concern and I should just let it leak until I start seeing the grease become thick or something?

My dad has grease from 99 on his shelf. No different than it was then. The grease is supposed to serve in all conditions and elements and storage is going to ruin it. The logic is amazing here...

My brand new grease gun loaded with Mobil 1 grease is leaking like blood all over the place. Is the Grease still good? Or is it losing some of its chemistry?

its m1 grease horrid seperation

2 new grease guns first grease tube:

I left my green grease filled gun under pressure and it didn't leak in 6month in the basement not 1 drop

the m1 filled NOT under pressure(plunger pulled back) left a 4" puddle
It also left a puddle under pressure as well.(even larger)

I'm sure m1 is fine in a bearing where it is constantly recombining...but very messy in storage.

My gun does not see much use either. I leave mine in a pan that I change oil with. I tried pulling the plunger back after use, but this sometimes caused it to lose its prime. The next time I went to use it, I would have to bleed it again.

I tried Mobil 1 grease and it was the worst to bleed I've ever used. I currently use some Chevron grease which has done fairly well, but am going to try Mystic JT6 next.

If you want, you could try Chevron Delo ESi for extended service regime: the same ISO VG grade viscosity, high temp and on MB-Approval list. No Moly though, if it's a requirement. The same color as M1
smile.gif

I posted this a few weeks ago.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4025559/1/Why_grease_must_separate(bleed

Sorry if it can't be pulled up. This post can be found on page two of the grease section on grease separation.

Last edited:
yeah I saw that, great post and at least for awhile put any concern out of my mind. Problem is, I was surprised at how much oil actually is seeping out, which got me to thinking maybe there's an alternative such as keeping it in a tub and only putting it in the gun when actually needed. Sounds like not a lot of traction on my idea, which is cool, I threw it out there to see if it triggered any useful insight.

Also FWIW it's the HD grease in my gun not Mobil 1 which is just in a tub and I rarely use it for anything. I was using it for shock linkages and dirt bike wheel bearings, and for whatever reason it got all crusty/cakey and washed out, looked more like whitish-grey clay. Weird. The HD I like a lot, oil separation while in a gun notwithstanding.

Was using M1 but switched partly due to the bleeding. However, I haven't found another non-moly grease that works on my Toyota drive shaft spline...

Originally Posted By: tig1
I posted this a few weeks ago.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4025559/1/Why_grease_must_separate(bleed

Sorry if it can't be pulled up. This post can be found on page two of the grease section on grease separation.

While I agree with that... I don't agree a grease needs to separate and leak out in puddle quantities in a 65f basement.

or does every other grease make it wrong? M1 is at least 4-5x worse leaking than the next worst I've tried.

What are we left with when grease separates?

Is it some carrier that is like a paste, but doesnt lube since the oil left? And is the oil that came out of suspension pretty special stuff. Maybe we can collect it and have an eBay sale of ״the good stuff"!

I go through grease gun tubes pretty quickly but have noticed they drip. I use M1 motor oil but stopped using the grease. I read that it was 30 weight synthetic oil mixed with a carrier and wasn't convinced that that was any better that regular dino grease for my relatively low temperature applications. And it was a lot more expensive.

I have a big tub of Kendall wheel bearing grease that I bought around 1980. I only use it to repack wheel bearings in my trucks. Every time I open it up it looks like it separated a little. I stir it back up and use it.

I didn't know that grease had a shelf life. I can say that I don't repack wheel bearings very often but I have never ever had a bearing failure and this old Kendall grease is all I have ever used. Has a nice blue color too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back