Advice on buying a used camper trailer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking around for a used camper trailer. Something that'll sleep 6 people, and something that would be considered to be of good quality.

I don't know what to look for in a used camper. I want to spend somewhere around 6000 dollars, maybe a little more...

I've looked at some Airstream trailers on ebay, and it looks like there are some in the price range I mention, although they're around 20 years old.

I'm wondering if a 20 year old Airstream would be better than a newer camper trailer of lesser esteem than the Airstream...

Can you get parts to repair these old Airstreams?

What are some of the things I should look out for when hunting for a used camper?

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

In this economy and season you should be able to negotiate a killer deal. If you go into the deal "wanting to spend $6000" you surely will.

I would look into local ordinances regarding parking, registration, and excise/personal property taxes. They really like to stick it to boats & RVs. You may find some loophole that helps cut fees.

Check the systems that require a little TLC and care in setting up for storage in the winter. Does the fridge work well, hot water heater, A/C, heater. These are all expensive systems to replace or repair. Does the floor feel soft anywhere, especially around doors and windows or near the water tank. How do the battery systems look?

Always look at the roof if you can. The roof can be a very expensive repair as well.

Do the propane tanks look old, etc.

Even a fairly new trailer not well cared for can be more of a money pit than they normally are, but its a lot of fun to have the option to just take off for a weekend or a week.

Last edited:
Airstreams are very nice but you are paying a lot for the name and cult status. They also have less usable room inside for a given footprint. because of the aero shape. You can get more and newer for your money by going with anther quality brand that doesn't have cult status.

There are many good brands on the market. Make sure that 6 people can sleep comfortably. Never accept "everything works great" check it out. When I sold our trailer I included the extra jacks, the TV and extra cables, hoses, the extra collar for the sewer line etc. I insisted that we turn on the air, all 4 burners on the stove and the heater. There are good buys out there but do not get in a hurry. If they try to rush you through leave. Each of the above post have made some very good suggestions. My trailer was 6 years old and I sold it for $5,000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XS650
Airstreams are very nice but you are paying a lot for the name and cult status. They also have less usable room inside for a given footprint. because of the aero shape. You can get more and newer for your money by going with anther quality brand that doesn't have cult status.

Absolutely true! Without slide outs, you are really missing a lot of usable room. Plus these Airstreams are HEAVY to tow compared to most others. I also think they are ugly, but that's a personal opinion.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Look at how the drawers are made. If they are just square with staples they are low quality. If they are cut so that they fit together like a puzzle they are better.

I prefer my drawers to sport dovetail joints. Screwed butt and biscuit joints are unacceptable -- as are stapled parts. I wonder how Pablo likes his joints.
grin2.gif

PS: All innuendo is coincidental and unintended, but also acknowledged!

Yahoo has RV related groups that are full of knowledgeable RVers that are more than willing to help answer your questions.

Check out AllAboutRVing and Classicrv and rvrepair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back