Advice needed for 2000 ford ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently bought a 2000 ford ranger and I have been daily driving it for about 2 months now and noticed a couple of problems it has. The ignition becomes sticky at random times (hard to turn the key) as well as the key can become stuck in the ignition and the only way to remove it is by taking it out of park and putting it back into park hard. What could this be a column actuator?

a good locksmith should be able to address both ignition and cable adjustment.

Last edited:
Is the key slightly bent? Do you use a key to open the locks and use the same key in the ignition?

I had a Toyota Tercel that had a similar issue and the key finally wouldn't go into the ignition.

Ended up having different keys for the ignition and doors.

I would spray some brake cleaner in the igniton to clean it up. Just try a little bit at a time.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would spray some brake cleaner in the igniton to clean it up. Just try a little bit at a time.

Awful advice, do not do this.

Take it apart and clean it, don't just spray brake cleaner in there.

NO NO No brake cleaner, cylinders need lubrication you're better off using a dry lube or graphite just go easy with the graphite.

It's probably the ignition tumbler. It's super easy to take out, there should be instructions/videos on the internet.

Whatever you do, do NOT try to spray lube or grease in there. That will just attract more dust. If your ignition lock still works intermittently, take out the lock cylinder NOW and rebuild it because if it gets worse to the point where you're not able to turn it to the ON position, you will not be able to get this out as easily.

You can buy the official Ford kit off RockAuto, or the Strattec kit and rebuild it to use your existing key. The aftermarket kits don't let you do that and only gives you a brand new key which is inconvenient for the doors. Chances are you might not even need to buy the rebuild kit. You can take out the lock cylinder, take out all the parts and clean every single piece, especially the wafers. If you are really cheap, you could even grind down the wafers a bit. Once you have this apart, it's pretty clear how the part works.

Usually what happens is dirt or lint gets stuck in there and affects the clearances so it won't turn. The Strattec website has instructions, but I found the Ford kit has clearer instructions with diagrams. It's a bit tricky at first but you do need to take out every single part to clean. Blasting the lock cylinder with air or brake clean won't do it.

I stronly suggest if you get a new cylinder to use the Ford one and rebuild it. The instructions are really easy to follow, I build them all the time at work for my shop and outside shops. There are also actuators in the column that wear out. Also how does the shifter feel? Is it sloppy? There are bushings on the shaft that wear and are a super common replacement, they are used on pretty much every Ford with a column shift.

I've cleaned the tumbler out on a few vehicles with WD-40. Just hold a rag under the tumbler as you spray it in. And wipe the key off a few times after doing this.

I used brake cleaner on an ignition lock cylinder that was not allowing the key to remove,is worked fine for years since.I followed up the brake cleaner with a blast of air in a can,and then some lock de icer.

Most brake cleaners are based on tetrachloroethylene, the same stuff that dry cleaners use.

It is non greasy non sticky, once evaporated it will leave no residue.

Great for cleaning metal parts, however it may create havoc with plastic parts.

If you believe that there are any plastic parts inside or around the mechanism you’re trying to clean, you may want to not use this type of solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back