Advice for next oil change on '04 Infiniti G35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had amazing luck using BG EPR on an oil drinking Audi.
You can get it at local speed shops or amazon.

Seriously strong stuff.

I bet your oil control rings are starting to get clogged up - causing your consumption.

Originally Posted By: OCDriver
Well, I put in the Castrol Edge 0w30 ("Belgium Castrol") in today.

Only thing I noticed on the first start is some possibly louder piston slap, but I'm not totally sure as I don't normally start the car with the hood open and I was probably listening more carefully than usual. I did prime the filter (Mobil1 M-108).

I'll do another cold start tomorrow.

one more thing. I used oversized filters M1/K&N (whichever one was included in the Autozone package/special).. the filters designed for M45 M1-110 i think it was.

I miss my VQ-powered Maxima.

Anyway, some general points:
-- Being in Canada, you'd be wise to ensure any oil you select has a "0W" in the beginning of the viscosity spec. If mostly garaged, a 5W synthetic might be OK, but you will still have a cold start ungaraged at some point (parked at work, shopping, etc, for extended period). Engines cool pretty fast at -35.

VQs are prone to varnish, and this can undermine oil control ring effectiveness. Mine varnished a good bit even with all group IV and group V oils (M1, Redline, mostly).

I would recommend a couple short OCIs with diesel xw-30 with heavy doses of LC20 (no affiliation) in the summer time. See if the consumption doesn't improve.

Then go to a 0W-30 or 0W-40 of your choice (PP is my favorite, but hard to find in some locales).

Originally Posted By: bbhero
What year Maxima did you have?

If that's directed to me, it's in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back