Advice for my Samsung TV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I just picked up and repaired a older Samsung DLP 46 inch TV. After getting it for free and doing some research (2007 was a bad year for DLP chips) I picked up a DLP chip for cheap and repaired the TV myself. NOt a bad deal, I thought.
cool.gif

One thing I've learned is that these TVs come with Bulbs. I was told that they last around 6000 hours, and this one is around 5000.

I will say it is a pretty easy TV to fix. I need some insight here, because I have never dealt with this type of TV before. It's in pretty good shape...so I figure if I pick up a few bulbs, hopefully I should be good for a while..

Does anyone have this type of TV?

Last edited:
I vote for not buying the bulbs until it fails, unless it's really cheap. It may be rated for 6000 hours but ratings are just a statistic, you never know if your bulb will go 10k or 15k hours, and who knows, something else that you can't fix/replace might break before the bulbs go.

I agree with wkcars, don't buy replacement bulb until it fails. It may not fail for another 4-5k hours, by that time a good 2-3 years old used 46-50" LCD may be as cheap as the bulb alone.

Yeah, seriously. If you watch 4 hours of TV a day every day, it'll take you 4 years to burn through a bulb. A lot can happen in 4 years. I wouldn't stock up on expensive bulbs.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
I vote for not buying the bulbs until it fails, unless it's really cheap. It may be rated for 6000 hours but ratings are just a statistic, you never know if your bulb will go 10k or 15k hours, and who knows, something else that you can't fix/replace might break before the bulbs go.

Seriously. We bought a 57" Sony Rear Projection TV back in like, 2004-2005. iirc those bulbs were only rated for like, 2000 hours. It was left on a LOT, and it didn't die until earlier this year. Those ratings are pretty conservative usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back