Advance/Walmart partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.
From today's Greensheet:

Advance Auto Parts, Walmart Announce
Omni-channel Pact

Advance Auto Parts and Walmart.com on Oct. 16
announced a "comprehensive, strategic partnership" to
create an automotive specialty store on Walmart.com.
Expected to begin rolling out in the first half of 2019, the
new omni-channel shopping venue will give customers
access to Advance's portfolio of aftermarket auto parts,
accessories and maintenance items. The specialty store is
envisioned as complementing Walmart's online and in-store
automotive offering of common parts and
accessories.

Launching in phases over the coming year, the new
automotive specialty store also will feature some of
Advance's value-added content and product information.
According to the Oct. 16 announcement, the companies
also plan to work together to explore new fulfillment
options, including home delivery, same-day pickup in
Walmart or Advance stores, and installation of some
parts.

I spent the better part of a decade as an assistant store manager at AAP, and I'll tell you... being up the street from a Walmart was a constant thorn in our side.

I know the company itself has been concerned for awhile that someday Walmart would open a legit auto parts department and run everyone out of business.

So, on that note, it's a smart move from the company to get in their corner and supply the parts, and leave AZ/Napa/o'reilly on the outside looking in. If you can't beat em, join em, as it were.

However, looking to the future, you have to think... advance is building this infrastructure for Walmart and setting up their parts program. How long until Walmart decides they'll operate it on their own and cut advance out?

Seems like a doubles edged sword.

Originally Posted by FriboRage
I spent the better part of a decade as an assistant store manager at AAP, and I'll tell you... being up the street from a Walmart was a constant thorn in our side.

I know the company itself has been concerned for awhile that someday Walmart would open a legit auto parts department and run everyone out of business.

So, on that note, it's a smart move from the company to get in their corner and supply the parts, and leave AZ/Napa/o'reilly on the outside looking in. If you can't beat em, join em, as it were.

However, looking to the future, you have to think... advance is building this infrastructure for Walmart and setting up their parts program. How long until Walmart decides they'll operate it on their own and cut advance out?

Seems like a doubles edged sword.

yeah, walmart really does so much better on pricing we can't really compete. a 5qt jug of mobil1 is $22 on walmart vs $29 (on sale) at the auto parts store... plus all they do is stock it on the shelf and scan it at checkout when you also either shop for a bunch of groceries and stuff to make them good money or if not well mayeb you buy a soda too while you're waiting in line. vs the auto parts store, while many bitogers probably know the filter # they want and what oil they want most regular people come up to the counter and ask what type they need and for us to look up the filter number and we go get it off the shelf for them. if they're just buying one quart... much cheaper at walmart but they won't look up the right one in the computer and pour it in for you...

From a outside perspective some consolidation may be in order. Advance, Pep Boys, O'Reillys all seem to have stores very close to each other. Walmart does make sense as a partner. Tying up with one of the others might not be the most beneficial outcome. Having the Walmart TLC business is a added bonus.

I noticed a few weeks ago that walmart.com was selling replacement/repair auto parts. I don't mean some 'marketplace' seller that is listed on the walmart.com website either. I mean things like PowerStop brake pads, starters, etc.

AAP doesn't let you use their gift cards when ordering online
mad.gif

So I buy a starter online at wally and select ship to store for free and it goes bad or it's dead right out of the box I wonder if I will be able to take it back to an AAP store and have them test/replace it or if I'll have to send it back thru wally. Time wise this could be a deal breaker if I have to send it back in.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
So I buy a starter online at wally and select ship to store for free and it goes bad or it's dead right out of the box I wonder if I will be able to take it back to an AAP store and have them test/replace it or if I'll have to send it back thru wally. Time wise this could be a deal breaker if I have to send it back in.

The 'story' mentions doing the pick-up at either WM or AAP stores. Pretty clear that you can return it to either as well.

Weird. Walmart has the best prices, AAP has the worst. We're talking Bizarr-O World prices at AAP. Maybe Walmart has just decided to be AAP's sugar daddy and put them out of business at the same time.

Compared to Autozone, O'Reilly, etc, I don't think AAP's price are out of line. You can't compare their prices to Amazon, Rockauto, etc that's for sure ! I will buy products at AAP often enough but I always use a coupon code/discount and their prices end up real nice. Bought an H6 size AGM battery for my wife's car from AAP, with a coupon code, for $140. Every place else was $180-220 for the same (size) AGM battery.

Yup I love any partnership when there are competing models right across the street.
EOD one must have deep pockets to put up a real fight with Walmart or Amazon.
Dislike monopolies but consolidation on the right model and create something better is a welcome sign between the companies

Getting things like oil, oil filters, auto lighting, washes, waxes, polishes, anti-freeze, etc . . . yeah, Walmart prices are usually the best. BUT . . . when it comes to finding a specific part for specific need, I'll stay with NAPA. Most of those working at Walmart in the areas around me very likely couldn't get hired at Dunkin Donuts because the pace is too fast.

33.gif

For some reason, the partnership between Advance and Walmart seems just as doomed as the partnership between Sears and Kmart. I generally avoid both places and patronize them as a last resort.

37.gif

That doesn't make sense. Sears was purchased by KMart quite a few years ago (edit it was in 2005). I don't see anything in this news about AAP purchasing Walmart, or vice-versa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RayCJ
For some reason, the partnership between Advance and Walmart seems just as doomed as the partnership between Sears and Kmart. I generally avoid both places and patronize them as a last resort.
There was no 'partnership' between Kmart and Sears.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

37.gif

For more than 15yrs I haven't ever bought oil and general automotive stuff from anywhere other than Walmart. What BS are you talking about, their prices are unbeatable, recently I had to get some boutique oil for my MB from Costco because Walmart wasn't carrying it, once it comes back (some stupid MB/Euro certification), even the Euro formula will be from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back